Is Ducru-Beaucaillou the most overrated wine in Bordeaux?

I too have no recent experiences, but the '89 and '90 were great wines. Overpriced? Now that’s a different story.

My only experience is with a 1999, sampled 3 years ago. Very nice showing, very reasonable price. I’d buy more if I could.

Cheers,
Doug

imho, all high end BDX are overrated and overpriced.

I don’t know what it’s rated :wink: but I do really enjoy it.

But admittedly I do like this characteristic if in balance. That’s what Cabernet tastes like.

Neither Ducru nor Rauzan-Segla would be on my list as over-rated.

So, in conclusion, Ducru-Beaucaillou is an overrated (but perhaps not the most), overpriced, very inconsistent ('82 and '96 are drinking well apparently) wine that requires more time in the cellar than most, and that had a shocking reputation in the late eighties (when numerous bottles were flawed). Not exactly my definition of a ‘Super Second’.

Alex, I have no horse in the race, but I certainly didn’t come to the same conclusion you did. My interpretation of the sum total of the above posts is that Ducru is not overrated, and not any more inconsistent than many other chateaux. Like I said, no horse in the race, and I’m just going by what I read in the thread. Now whether it merits being regarded as a “super second” is another story, though it seems that many of the posts would support the notion.

Nope. In conclusion, you alone feel Ducru is overrated by whatever your yet-to-be-established definition of “Super Second” is. Based on Farr Vintners designations of “Super Seconds”, I would say Leoville-Las-Cases and Cos are more “overrated.” Did Ducru suffer a bad half-decade during the late 80s? Yes. Not nearly as bad as the one Margaux suffered during the middle 70s. Is Margaux “overrated” for a First Growth based on five years out of over a hundred plus with that status? Does this escape your definition of a “First Growth?”

Don’t extract too many “truths” from your preferences.

Alex,
have you really read all the posts? It might be your conclusion but it’s not the conclusion of the vast majority of posters. If you have an opinion and don’t want to change it why ask ?

I had it in a blind tasting dinner a few months ago. It was hugely tannic, closed, and hard to evaluate or to appreciate. I sensed that it might have potential for down the road, but that bottle a couple of months ago was no fun at all.

Just one single data point though, and I don’t have any idea whether it’s representative of other people’s experiences or not.

Maybe he secretly loves Ducru-Beaucaillou and wants people to start slipping it into every blind tasting he attends as a gotcha, rather like happens to David Z. with Texier.

Peter wrote:

“imho, all high end BDX are overrated and overpriced.”

Nothing like nuance :slight_smile:.

So high-end Burgundy is cheap?

Alex R.

Hard to see where you get overrated from the responses. I get that you don’t like the wines. Trying to draw any conclusion beyond that is a waste of time.

WOW.

I could not disagree more. I love LLC. including almost all of the vintages you mentioned. There are clearly a group of Bordeaux lovers here who do not like the same wines I do.

Or, you don’t like it and many experienced Bordeaux drinkers do.

Not overated in any way IMHO. I find the wine to be more traditional and somewhat feminine/floral than most bordeaux. Some have said more Burgundian. Sounds like you don’t like the style. No problem there - I do so count me +1 with Howard.

Big Ducru fan. I have had numerous vintages from 64 to 2005 and generally find them very good to excellent. The 82 is amazing. There was a bit of a bad run in the mid 80s to watch out for, no question.

Chris - thanks for the data point. Does anyone else have recent experience with the 1995? I’m planning to bring it to La Grenouille on Wednesday.

Diane, it is not the 1996, but it is a pretty solid wine.

I thought for many years that I didn’t care for Ducru-Baucaillou until I finally tasted a mature one. Ufnortunately by that time prices had gone crazy.