Is France Safe for Travel

Glad to hear it as the pictures from last Saturday looked more dire.

Last night, New Year’s Eve, we had dinner near the Eiffel and then walked over to the Eiffel. We took effect some family pictures and packed my son and wife in an uber back to the apartment. My daughter and I walked to the Arc from there. Other than the million+ people in one place it never felt unsafe. The police and national guard were out but unobtrusive. Our only problem was getting home afterwards as so many streets were blocked. We sat at a cafe and watched the people stream by while trying to get an uber to pick us up. The only problem people we saw were som German rowdies who turned over a large potted plant outside a bistro. A local came along and righted it a few minutes later. It was also interesting to se women in hijab drinking wine at the sidewalk cafes. Maybe wine will conquer all.
We did see some signs of the previous day’s demonstrations, but nothing too bad. The most interesting thing is all the protest graffiti is in grammatically and idiomatically correct English. Makes one wonder who is really behind the most violent of the protesters.
Quite frankly, it felt safer in Paris than in Salzburg, where we spent New Years 2 years ago. There it was gunfire and private fireworks all night long. Never heard the first firecracker last night.

There haven’t been protests in days other than Saturday I thought. When you said “other day” did you mean 12/30?

Not sure who you are asking or what. We have seen zero protests just the after effects. Was in the ritzy financial are today and lots of folks working to replace broken windows. It seems more than anything like a repeat of the us in 68 and 69 and trying to stick it to the man.

Just got a photo from Sis and Kids, smiling and happy in La Defense. Fairly mild Winter temps (40s). Yellow Vest issues are reportedly more common on Saturday and easy to avoid. News coverage has been splashier than the reality (imagine that). Hasn’t impacted them at all. I’d be more worried about travel to Chicago.

RT

I meant what day was t”the other day”. The only troubles have been on Saturday. I’m in France now, not worried but not Gonna hang out on the Champs Saturday either.

It was also interesting to se women in hijab drinking wine at the sidewalk cafes. Maybe wine will conquer all.

Pretty normal sight to see, which surprises a lot of people. 10-12% of the French population is Muslim, with a heavy influx from Africa (i.e. Morocco, Algeria, etc.) due to colonization in the 1800’s. Paris is a hell of a lot easier when you speak French already!

That said, I heartily agree with your sentiment, especially when Cotes du Rhone is involved :smiley:

I was there over Christmas and it was absolutely fine and we were all over the city. Left Saturday morning, so I can not speak to the protests on that day.

Have been here for several days with no issues. In fairness, I haven’t been here on Saturday (I’ll post if there’s an update there), but my biggest concern has been whether or not I’m going to get snowed in at the office tonight. Depending on which site you’re looking at… it’s rain, snow or dry :smiley: Office issued a warning, which has people heading for the doors.

I’d also note that police/gendarmerie presence has been almost non-existent, relative to when I was living here (last in May, visited in Aug). I’ve walked at least 10-12 miles over the last three days - up Rue de Rivoli (jumped over to the Louvre for a pic of the pyramid at night), through La Canopee at Les Halles (used to be 100% certain to see packs of gendarmerie with machine guns) and around St Germaine last night… no armed presence.

I’m having a hard time thinking of a “positive” use for spray paint.

I might have to walk over to the Champs Elysee in a bit, because I have been sorely disappointed with today’s yellow jacket manifestations. Aside from shutting down half the streets around my hotel, I have seen nothing… and I walked/took the metro across 2/3 of Paris today.

The only imminent danger I have faced this trip (so far) was sitting across from Michel Abood at Bistro Paul Bert as he perused the champagne list and asked “so, who wants champagne?”

Been in Paris several days with zero Issue. Was on champs elysses last night and only thing I noticed was a broken window at a (very) crowded monoprix.

Not Paris but Angers yesterday (Tuesday). There was a joint Gillets Jaunes (Yellow Jackets), union (CGT) and school kids demonstration. Everyone was very motivated but happy, and as one person told me, “Make fun of the French all you want, but at least we still fight for our rights.” Hard to argue with that.

Yellow Jackets 2.jpg
Yellow Jackets 3.jpg
Yellow Jackets 1.jpg

The Beastie Boys have been fighting for our rights (to party) since 1987.

Waitress at Verjus (wonderful) last night said tourism was down markedly due to the protests — she estimated 50%.