Is it safe to ship in May from CA to NY?

But, only for a couple of days and then hotter, again.

-Al

Three days ago it was supposed to hit 78 degrees here on Thursday. Now we’ll be lucky if it gets over 60. So much for forecasts. This one good for shipping, many are not.

OP: I would never suggest shipping by ground from SoCal this time of year.

I was merely pointing out a May anomaly, I have shipped a lot of expensive older wines. I watch the weather regularly and I noticed that shipping by ground tomorrow across the northern half of the country is actually feasible and not common for May.Gabe is probably further north, it is hotter up there, 10 degrees more today than 30 miles to the south where I am. For non locals, every ridge you drive over in Marin and Sonoma Counties on 101 brings hotter weather with the Petaluma wind gap being the exception. Much of the Bay Area will dip into the 70’s tomorrow as Al pointed out for a very brief period. I would not ship ground on this Friday.

Ashish, I no longer know how to tell a ground shipment goes on a southern route from here. Shipments from NorCal wine country usually end up in a UPS hub close to Sacramento which is a rail hub for the region. I would think UPS would want to pay for the most direct route possible and not go south.

You might have luck with FedEx Cold Chain which would keep the wine cool enough throughout the journey. I think this just started for the year since it usually becomes available in mid May. The wine should be kept cool until the final leg of the trip where it goes from the local hub to your home in a regular truck. Since it is not too warm now in NY I would say it could be a good solution.

What was the offer?

+!

Taittinger Comtes 08 $125 - $135

1 Like

Thanks- great price!

I got an email from Benchmark today telling me that I should schedule shipping towards the end of this week. I’m seeing that Napa will consistently be in 80s through next week. Not sure why they would ask me to ship them-thought they would hold until the Fall, which they have allowed in the past. Did their policy change or something recently?

I have a shipment coming from Wine.com via Fedex that was supposed to be here Sunday and now it is saying Wednesday.
So that is 5 days to go 500 miles.
It has been in Tracy, CA the past few days which is east of S.F. bay area and has been in the 90’s during the day.
I am anticipating it will be going on a truck down I-5 which will also be in the 90’s.
So I am prepared to receive some cooked wine.
My only hope is that the cool temperatures during the night will save it.
I didn’t really think too much about the temperature as it has been about 70 here in San Diego during the day.