Is this the world’s most under-appreciated Chablis producer?

Justin,
I love L. Michel, but think they’re more under-priced than underappreciated. I haven’t bought Servin in years, but used to like the village wine.
Cheers,
Warren

For me, another under-the-radar producer is Duplessis.

2 Likes

Chris,
I really like the Dessus La Carriere. You can almost taste that it’s “above the quarry”.
Cheers,
Warren

1 Like

Thanks for bringing my attention to this producer, Warren. We opened a bottle of their basic 2020 Chablis this evening. Very nice range and balance of fruit and mineral and acid. I want to say lemon dominated fruit, but that falls short of describing the fairly complex fruit, herb, flowery impression. I also want to say even this basic bottling shows a touch of ‘finesse’, which for me is easier to sense than to precisely define. Nice wine.
25525BD0-F566-4930-B48B-7A1CF49FE251.jpeg

Jim,
That’s great; nice note. I’m glad you liked it. Picq wines punch well above their weight!
Cheers,
Warren

We had the same village 2020 yesterday before dinner at an AirBnB in Omaha for the College World Series. After an afternoon game in withering heat, it was quite refreshing and clean. I didn’t take notes, but I thought it was very well made and good value.

I think your word ‘clean’ fits this wine very well, Chris. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

commercial post: I’ve imported Duplessis for over 30 years.

We are not the only American importer, we don’t get much, we are selling out now on a regular basis (it wasn’t always that way).

One point: AFAIK, Duplessis has never had a premox problem and the wines last and last and last. About 20 years ago, Revue du Vin de France wrote and article called “The Immortal Chablis of Duplessis”. They went back to the 1947 vintage. I reproduced most of the tasting for Robert Parker, with the oldest wine Gerard sent being 1952. We had a 1970 with a bad cork, everything else was pristine. The 1952 was more green than gold. I don’t think much has changed.

Now away from the thread drift: I think Picq is an outstanding producer and also builds them to last.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

I’ll have to source some Duplessis from you!
Cheers,
Warren

One point: AFAIK, Duplessis has never had a premox problem and the wines last and last and last.

I bought a case of '10 Duplessis 1er and grand crus from Selection Massale and found some premox on the last several bottles I opened in the last two years - especially in the Vallions. They have been stored under ideal conditions. I’ve got a few left that I really should open and get another data point. I really liked their concentration and minerality before they started to oxidize. Made me a bit sad at the loss.

Bob,

This is literally the first time I’ve heard of premox on any Duplessis wine. And 2010 should be a sterling vintage. Are you absolutely sure that the storage was ideal before your purchase?

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

I have 14 bottles of various 2010 Duplessis. I have several bottles of Vaillons and will open one soon.

I opened '10 Vaillons yesterday for several wine geeks and a friend who is also a Duplessis fan. It was terrific with 2-3 years of upside. Not even a hint of oxidation.

I ordered some ‘19 Duplessis Montèe de Tonnerre. Damned enablers. I’m looking forward to trying them someday.

Cheers,
Warren