Issues with Benchmark Wine Group (WOT)

Apologies for my slow reply – I have been discussing with staff exactly what happened, as quite a bit happened over the phone and I wanted to get a full picture of the situation.

If we were bigger and had a full-time PR agency managing our online presence, I imagine that they would advise that we let this dog lie, however I’m really not happy with how Mr. Lewis has portrayed our staff throughout this entire ordeal. Our customer service team in particular is the best it has ever been in the 5+ years I have been affiliated with Benchmark. They do their best with every customer who is reasonable (99.99999%), but they are also very good at holding their ground when a customer tries to bend our policies, ‘just this one time’. They have a very tough job and I absolutely respect that they bear the brunt of any mistake that other team members make - doing so with a smile.

The following is a full recount of what happened, and why it happened. From my perspective, our team tried to go above and beyond for Mr. Lewis, however a first time buyer’s discount and detail oriented customer service to make sure his order shipped at the requested ship date was not enough for him.

1. Mr. Lewis placed his first order with BWG on 1/9/15, using the First Time Buyer code, and requested a ship date of 1/19/15. While placing that order, Mr. Lewis was informed by our sales person that this promo code was only available to him once, and perhaps he would like to save it for a bigger order. He opted to use it for that order and we obliged.

To be clear, when an order is placed, it is finalized in our system – bottles cannot be ‘added to’ the order at a later date for inventory and accounting reasons. The order would have been shipped within 72 hours, but Mr. Lewis asked that we Hold for a specific date. We often provide the service of holding orders in our warehouse and shipping on a convenient date for the client, and Mr. Lewis took advantage of the service. In the event the customer would like to place additional orders, we are happy to consolidate those orders with the original and give the best possible per bottle shipping rate.

I believe this is the root cause of this entire issue – Mr. Lewis made the assumption that he would be able to ‘add bottles’ to an order after the fact, even though he was told directly that he would only be able to use the discount on one order.

1. On 1/16/15, Mr. Lewis’ Customer Service Rep sent him a courtesy shipping notice to remind him that we would be shipping his order on the requested shipping date – as we always do for our customers. This is to make sure the customer still wants to ship on that date and to make sure someone will be available to receive the shipment when it arrives.

2. Mr. Lewis replied to the shipment notification, saying that he wanted to add bottles to the shipment and receive the 10% discount again. If you read the email again that Mr. Lewis posted, you will see that his customer service rep made no promises, she just asked him to call our sales department and let them know about the discount. Our customer service team does not keep track of discounts, that is the sales team’s job.

3. When Mr. Lewis called to place a second order to be combined with his first for shipment, he was kindly reminded by two members of our sales team that the First Time Buyer promo was only available to him once, and he opted to use it on his first order.

4. After expressing dissatisfaction with our response, he was transferred to our Operations Manager. By this time, Mr. Lewis was not in the greatest of moods and when she held her ground on the subject he immediately asked to have the order cancelled. She obliged and waived the 5% restocking fee.

Our Operations Manager is very good at what she does and any upset customer phone calls typically land in her lap – the phone call from Mr. Lewis was not her first rodeo. When she does receive these phone calls, she is very direct and matter-of-fact about the situation. Perhaps the tone might be misconstrued as rude when the caller is upset, but I am often in the room when they happen – at no time is she rude or patronizing.

1. Within a few hours of that phone call, I received notice from Yelp that a review had been posted on our profile – which was the One Star review that I referenced in my first post.

Perhaps there is a fundamental misunderstanding between Benchmark and Mr. Lewis on what customer service is. We do our best to go above and beyond by giving our clients on-demand access to rare wines that cannot often be found anywhere else, and detail oriented service after the sale to make sure your prized wines arrive safely at your doorstep. However, given the constrained supply of the wines we sell, we don’t discount – save a select few rare circumstances. A customer’s mistaken assumption is not a good reason to extend a discount on wines that will easily sell otherwise at the original, market leading price. If this was an auction and Mr. Lewis had been outbid, would we still be having the same conversation? Our team did their best to kindly inform Mr. Lewis that his assumption was incorrect, however that was not enough.

Throughout this ordeal, many adjectives have been used to describe our team – which I completely disagree with. The team made an honest effort to satisfy Mr. Lewis using the tools that they had available – tools that seem to be very agreeable to our many happy customers. This same misunderstanding has happened in the past (one of the reasons this discount is no longer available), however we have managed to (almost) always resolve the situation equitably. At the end of the day, you can’t make everyone happy…and we’re okay with that.

Mike, i think i’m on your side with this whole ordeal in how your team handled it… Certainly great reputation with the store from many folks here.

Just curious, as i wrote before… isn’t it easier just to give the 10% on the two (or whatever) additional bottles and avoid this entire ordeal?

your time spent on this, the Ops Manager’s time, all the emails back and forth… all that time has got to be worth more than whatever that discount was gonna be? (not to mention the negativity, the yelp review, the upset/lost customer, etc etc)… maybe it isn’t… but sure seems like it?

what was the cost/benefit analysis in letting this clusterf* get to this stage vs granting a $20 discount?

Mark - the intention is never to create a situation like this. Our team members are given their ‘tool box’ of remedies to handle customer service situations based on company policy. If there is a situation where some asks for the next manager, etc., we will not reverse our front line employee’s actions if they have followed the policy – because that creates employee morale problems. Frankly, discouraging a valuable employee is much more damaging than the potential upsetting of one customer who is asking for a ‘favor’. Obviously there are extreme cases where that paradigm is over-ridden, but using the First Time Buyer discount a second time is not one of those situations.

We can’t anticipate that someone is going to go to Yelp and then post it WB almost a month later – after working with thousands of customers over a decade; this is the first time something like this has been taken to such extremes.

Makes sense Mike… keep up the good work! [cheers.gif]

I don’t know how anyone could profitably run a business honoring imaginary discounts based on a fear that if they don’t, they’ll get a bad Yelp review. I doubt I am the only one who sifts through Yelp reviews with a heavy duty sifter. The best businesses I’ve patronized very often have four stars on Yelp because of the crank reviews that drag scores down.

IMO, it’s impossible to accommodate everyone’s personal reality and make everyone happy.

In life or in business.

" yet Mike is told to “let them know about the 10%”. Why? … if there would be no discount on the addition."

IMO, she was accepting his assertion and passing him off to someone who would be in a position to verify.

IMO, the OP was fraudulent from the start. What he wanted was an exception to the policy that had been explicitly stated to him. Benchmark even produced and put the original person on the line who had stated that policy to him to remind him of what he already knew, but wasn’t willing to accept.

An honest approach from the OP, in my opinion, would have been to admit from the start that he was aware that he had no more discount coming but was hoping for an exception to the policy. Then, he could have been passed to a person who could explain to him that they would not make an exception - which is what seems to have happened eventually anyway.

It seems to me the OP first decided his position was reasonable, then took it further and assumed this actually conjured the further unapproved discount into existence.

Magical thinking.

He was simply passed along people who were more and more equipped to handle this type of situation.

Good, he’s gone. Don’t much cotton to people who want what they want when they want it and if they don’t get it they’re going to make life miserable for the offender.

Mike-

I said I was not going to respond, but I agree we need to keep the facts and the emotions separate, which is what I will try to do.

1. Fact: I placed an order with a valid discount good for 10% off my first purchase. I was told at the time the discount was only good for my first order. I asked for delayed shipping, which was agreed to.

2. Fact: I got a shipping notification and requested that I be able to add to the order (my first order) and include the 10% to the added amounts. I received an e-mail saying that would be “no problem,” with the response (copied far above) making it clear Benchmark would be applying the 10% I received on my existing order to the bottles which I was now adding.

3. Fact: Based on my opinion that the 10% add was acceptable and that because Benchmark still had my “first order” to which I was adding, I called and spoke with a polite employee who, when I explained the fact it was my first order put me on hold. There was no disagreement, no “talk back” from her or me, just a request to hold.

4. Fact: After holding for quite a while, I spoke with employee #2, and explained the situation. She said they could not apply the 10%, and then I mentioned the e-mail. She asked me to read it, which I did. Again, no disagreement, no “talk back,” just another request to hold. At no time did I ask for anyone “higher up,” I merely explained the situation and the fact my first order was still at Benchmark.

5. Fact: Employee # 3 got on the phone and said that they could not apply the 10%.

6. Opinion: I believed Employee # 3 was rude and argumentative, and suggested I was trying to “get away” with something. At that point, between her tone and what I believed was a lack of customer service, I got angry. Look, I may have been a sensitive Sam that day, or the employee might have been having a bad day, but I, as the customer, rightly or wrongly perceived a slight that was not called for under the circumstances.

7. Fact: In anger, I then asked to cancel my order, and was told I would either get a store credit (with a store that had just angered me quite a bit), or I could pay ~$50 for the privilege of getting my money back. I was also told that this was company policy.

8. Opinion: I checked the website carefully, and did not see anything about the 10% or 5% policies mentioned by employee #3. It’s possible I missed it, as I make mistakes. However…

9. Fact: although the 5% policy is now on the website, Benchmark has never said it was there on the date I went to cancel. I would not have said it was not there in my e-mail to the Director of Operations if I had noticed it (if for no other reason than the statement could be easily refuted with a link).

10. Fact: Because I was angry, I wrote an e-mail to the Director of Operations (see above), and tried to be as dispassionate as I could. Again, I felt like my integrity had been impugned, and I was upset.

11. Fact: My email was not responded to for more than a week, so I followed up. I received a response that I would get an answer the next day.

12. Fact: I never did receive an answer to my e-mail. Despite the claim one was sent by Mike above, I do not have it, and a copy of it has not been posted here, so I will have to take the statement at face value.

13. Fact: Between the initial response I believed to be rude, and the failure to respond, twice, to my e-mail, I went to Yelp.

14. Fact: Despite getting notification of the Yelp complaint, Benchmark chose not to respond to that either. More than 1 month goes by.

15. Fact: Still upset at how I felt treated, compounded by the non-response, I posted here.

16. Fact: Based upon my post, Benchmark decided to respond here. It never made attempts to discuss the matter with me personally whether via e-mail, telephone, etc.

17. Opinion: I got treated poorly, and I did what I thought was the right thing - bring it to management and give them a chance to avoid losing a customer. They chose not to do anything despite having multiple chances. So, I took my grievance to a larger audience, and despite expecting to receive at least an “I’m sorry if you misunderstood our employee, but we stand behind her actions” I received a response intended to win over the larger audience. Fair enough, that’s what the VP of Marketing is supposed to do.

18. Fact: No one here has explained why, whether or not I was in the right about the 10% (let’s assume I was wrong for the sake of argument), that it was proper “customer service” to ignore, repeatedly, my attempt to discuss the matter, even if the answer was to politely tell me “no.” Again, as stated in one of my earlier posts, I partially expected an “I’m sorry there was a misunderstanding, but we stick by our employee” type of e-mail. At least that would have said to me that they heard my story, but disagreed. The non-response is what really caused me to escalate the matter.

19. Fact: Regardless of claims, margins would not have been materially less had I ordered all 6 bottles on my initial call, or ordered them 4 and 2, with a 10% discount at each call. The sole cost would have been opening up a sealed box, resealing, and paying someone to do it.

20. Fact: The 10% has been discontinued. Maybe Google found me an old code, and, unbeknown to me, Benchmark stood behind it anyway. I have no idea, but clearly that has been discontinued since my purchase and this issue. That leads me to believe that other policies were changed in response as well (5% policy), but I cannot prove that one way or the other at this point.

21: Opinion: As stated, I felt like I was rudely treated and then ignored. Maybe I’m just super sensitive, but I doubt that anyone here, in their honest opinion, would be accepting of this type of treatment. Maybe they would have let it go, but to me it was the principle of the matter.

1. Opinion: If you read the Yelp post and my e-mail above, you’ll see I did what I could to be fair in my assessment of the situation, as I saw it. I did not name call, make demands, threaten, etc. I was professional and polite. Had I been an as***le, I would have expected to be ignored. However, I tried, in good faith to resolve the issue.

That’s it.

Fact: If I ever consider getting involved with a retail business I will (1) re-read this thread, (2) decide against pursuing whatever retail business I was considering and (3) say a quiet “thank you” to Bill and the folks at Benchmark for the priceless and timeless education.

1. A very good friend of ours went into a retail business about 20 years ago having had no experience in it other than as a customer. After just a few months, every time I’d see her, she’d ask me how in the world I could have done it for so long and stayed sane. As I said up thread, this whole thing hinges mostly on the wording of an email that is ambiguous, at least if you’re the customer. Emotion took it well beyond that, as is so often the case in these things.

Ok…i’ll chime in here.

Here are a few points from my POV:

-How does one have the kind of time that this guy does to post yelp reviews and then a month and a half later go on Berserkers and spend hours writing posts and re-posts. With all the wrongs in the world this is what you choose to spend your time on? Seriously? We are talking like $50 here. Dude.

-Bill has very few posts here on berserkers, and the few posts that he has started revolve around some retailer that has “wronged” him. Red flag.

-Wine should be fun. Obviously Bill has missed this point by a mile.

-If you want a retailer to do something for you don’t give them a scathing review right after your “bad experience” and then expect them to bend over backwards for you.

-Last but not least, I have had many dealings with Benchmark-both selling and buying and have had nothing but great experiences. I live in the area and have been to the facility; I’ve met many of the people. They are a great bunch of folks who don’t deserve this smear campaign by a customer misinterpreted the rules and wanted special consideration.

I placed an order with Benchmark just yesterday partially as a result of this thread. A show of support.

While I have no dog in this hunt, as a retailer myself this idea that the “Customer Is Always Right”, regularly gets abused by people who are aware that small businesses are endeavoring to achieve this ideal.

We had a guy just the other day come in, sign up for our wine club (1 year commitment), take his “wine club only allocation” , at a discount, and then called to quit later that same day.

He was livid when we quoted his signed wine club form, allowing to us to reverse the discount.

He did get the allocation from us that he shouldn’t have, but there was nothing to be done about that.

Unfortunately we’ve had similar situations where the customer threatened us with a one star yelp review, and that’s where I end the conversation.

That’s why we have one, one star review…out of 39.

Check it out: http://www.yelp.com/biz/roadhouse-winery-healdsburg?sort_by=rating_desc

Gracias Sir!

I went to a symposium kind of thing one time and Herb Kelleher founder of Southwest Airlines gave a speech on customer service with this quote “the customer isn’t always right, in fact the customer is often wrong, drunk, on drugs, psychotic, trying to rip off my airline. If we have a flight with 150 passengers and 149 of them land happy that’s a success”

I think this is the same guy that got furious with K&L for not lowering their futures prices on mouton…

I’d say benchmark’s rep is safe. Bill, I’d go talk with a therapist. You have an anger and an entitlement issue. Good luck.

This explains a lot.

Don’t worry, he’ll be back in two years with installment #3.

How long between OP asking in January to add to his order and OP then trying to add to his order? Did he expect that they promised that anything he bought over the ne t month would be ten percent off? Or that anything he bought before his wine shipped would be ten percent off? If he tried to add wine any time more than a few days after the “promise,” that’s unreasonable regardless of what he thought was promised.

It’s a gray area that I have wondered also.

BTW, my pre-arrival order arrived and I got an email yesterday about shipping. I asked her to mention my 10% 1st time buyer discount to Mike. Funny, I never heard back. newhere