It's been too long! Petite Sirah! Two years later.

Funny to see the note about Bern’s… They used to have some extraordinary PSs. Have not been in a while but would not be surprised to still find some fine gems deep in the list.

I drink PS only about 2-3 times a year, at most. However, I opened a 2003 Robert Foley on Saturday night and it was outstanding.

Chris… I’ve got my eye on a bottle of 2003 Switchback for tonight!!

I opened a bottle of the 94 Turley Hayne PS back around April and it rocked. You should consider testing one now and decide for yourself whether to hold or start opening.

The Le P’tit Paysan PS made by Ian Brand is really nice. A lower alcohol version that shows some nice berry when young but still has the tannic structure that should make it age well.

Just finished a bottle of 2006 Switchback P.S., great timing of this thread. While I love big bold wines, I tend to drink my petits way too young. This one still had the stuffing to go decades more. Need to give them more time to see how they develop.

Bud, the Foley PS that I had was from a small auction lot that you shared with me a few years ago. [cheers.gif]

Do yourself a favor and get some Jaffurs PS’s . . . You will NOT have to wait decades to enjoy - but they are not ‘wimpy’ wines either.

The challenge with PS is to find sites that allow it to ripen ‘fully’ without it going over the top. We’re fortunate to have a few such sites here in SBC, and one is the Thompson Vineyard. Craig’s PS stands as one of the best in CA, and for the price, way up there on a QPR standpoint . . .

Cheers

A recent bottle of 1996 Rockland PS opened by a friend was drinking really well. A year or so ago I sold off my remaining bottles of petite sirah (Turley, Switchback, Thackrey and a few others) - freed up cellar space for wine I enjoy more.

Has anyone had Carver Sutro or Relic? Elyse makes a solid one too.

PS was the first varietal that got me into wine - there used to be a killer black label Arciero Paso Robles Petite that you could buy around here at supermarkets (circa 1998) for 7.99. I collected a mixed case of Petites in 2005 and have just now started getting into them. 2002 Ridge Lytton Springs Petite was pretty bulletproof, but a 2003 Stags Leap was sadly over the hill.

I had an '07 Ridge Dynamite Hill Petite Sirah this past weekend, no notes as I had a few other bottles ahead of it but I find it very approachable at this point, I didn’t think it was too early to open and found overall the character of the wine pretty light, probably should have opened it a few hours before but still very nice. Thanks everyone for the interesting notes on other PS.

I have a nice Turley PS that I’ve read is better to kept laid down for a while.

Yup…you nailed that one, Larry. Especially the “Archibald Cuvee”.
Tom

Most recent PS was a Concannon 2012 Central Coast-good tailgate wine and not bad as a mid-week hearty red. Other memorable Petites this past year were Odonata 2011 Machado Creek Vineyard PS and 2006 Carlisle Dry Creek PS.

Bud, thanks for opening the wine, as I saw your note on CT tonight. You, Brig and I, we have the only notes on the wine over the past year, you the most recent. What did you find in terms of aging curve, drink window? I have one left, would like to get your thought on this aspect. Thanks again.

Is Foley still making Switchback Ridge? I was never a huge fan of his style. But I do know he was one of the hottest winemakers up there 10 year ago.

05 Outpost Howell Mtn Petite Sirah last night was really good. Manageable tannins with great blue fruits. Much better than the 03 and 04 versions.

Tom

Just had Carver Sutro PS from 2002 last week. Drank very well. Elyse had an excellent PS in 2001. Picked up several cases. Haven’t tried in several years. Something to add to list of things to open in January, will report back…

Yes and I enjoyed it. Given recent notes on CT I’ll likely open my second of two later in 2015 for its 10th birthday

• 2005 Carver-Sutro Petite Sirah Palisades Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/28/2012)
    I really enjoy this nose- bbq sauce, hickory smoke, meat and blackberries. The palate starts off restrained but really opens up with air, with bbq sauce, blackberry and a bit of wood. Medium acid, medium-tannins and a medium-length oak driven finish. Improved slightly on day two. Drinking well now but let it breathe a bit. (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker
:
In general I only end up drinking 2-3 PS/year though I enjoy them and should make a point of buying more. I do have an 07 Keating I need to open soon.

Frank… this bottle was an auction purchase, so I can’t speak for the provenance, but is probably in the middle of a long drink window. There were no signs of old age.
The tannins are certainly softer than younger versions. I suspect it will easily go another 8-10 years.

My palate has moved away from the bold style of PS, yet I still enjoy a bottle every once in awhile with a pizza. A couple of my favorites include David Fulton and Biale Royal Punishers. I do prefer mine with a little age though.