IYHO, what is the best Italian white with seafood?

I really enjoyed a Salina IGT Malvasia Bianca that I tried a few years ago (Tasca D’Almerita Tenuta Capofaro “Didyme”). It would be amazing (and was) with any fish or shellfish in a buttery sauce. Lots of salinity and tropical fruits, one can go through a bottle pretty quickly without realizing, but it is definitely best with some seafood. It didn’t used to be available in the states, but I think W-S has it in a few locations.

Huh?? rolleyes

There are still inches of snow on the ground with morning temperatures of single digits.
Summer a loooong way off, boy.

We’ll, in fairness, I posted that in late May, 7 years ago.
neener

Well, I only see what is in front of my face! [cheers.gif]

Did you ever find a match, btw? Shrimp is pretty easy to pair with, and nearly all regions (of Italy) will have a white to go with it.

Lol
So far my answer is,”all of them.”
That Posip from Newbiepalooza is killer with shrimp also.

I agree with this and add Etna Bianco’s to the mix

1 Like

I’m a hurge fan of Pieropan Soave, love the Calvarino and La Rocca, and they age. Do the Fiano’s age well too? I love them, especially when it’s the local wine. But Soave (in particular, Pieropan) seems like a step up. I"ll have to try one on your list.

Great thread! Thank you to all contributors. [cheers.gif]

In my experience, the best examples of Fiano d’Avellino tend to age really well over what you’d call the mid-term. Of course, non-fruit qualities (often intensely herbal/garrigue) become more dominant. Most of the ones I like tend to hit a perfect balance anywhere between 5 and 12 years post-vintage. I’ve had some older examples that were still drinking great, but it all depends on where you want them. The best ones also tend to show lots of balance and elegance in their youth with more overt, fresher fruit: very seductive wines.

Outstanding as Soave can be, I don’t necessarily agree about it being a step up over FdA. I think FdA is one of Italy’s most exciting appellations for great and authentic white “vins de terroir”.

Back, briefly, to the overall subject of the thread, seafood and more specifically scampi. Falanghina has been mentioned, but I would focus particularly on the Campi Flegrei. Something like Moccia’s Aganum, La Sibilla, or Salandra. The usual proviso applies, what sort of seafood, what scampi dish specifically etc., but, for something simple that really allows the primary ingredients to shine (don’t know… grilled scampi?), I can hardly think of anything better.

1 Like

I’d nominate something cool from Liguria like the Punta Crena Mataossu. Had it with a big plate of miscellaneous seafood at a restaurant in Varigotti 15 years ago and I’ve loved it ever since.

Agreed. There is a plethora to choose from.

The noted whites from Campania are lovely, Soave is another favorite, sparkling Franciacorta, alpine whites like Pinot Bianco, good Grigio, or Kerner also thrive with seafood, Arneis, and even field blends like Zuani are lovely.

I love Soave with seafood, but rarely drink it. So many choices!!

Indeed, that’s another excellent proposition. When I eat seafood in Italy, I normally try to pair it with something local. Not a problem there, I can hardly think of a single Italian region that doesn’t make at least some excellent wines perfectly suited to accompany the area’s local cuisine. But I cook and eat lots of seafood here in Brussels as well and, if it’s fritto misto or any dish that falls roughly within that general category, I normally gravitate towards Liguria. Usually Vermentino (Ottaviano Lambruschi, Lunae Bosoni…), Pigato (Laura Ascheri, Vio…), or a Cinqueterre (Terenzuola, Possa…).

Scott, even for today, I am planning to play golf. This is March. Snow is so January and February.

PXL_20220523_234102386.jpg
The pale straw colored 2019 Colleleva [Verdicchio del Castelli di Jesi] was pressed into service when another blanc was deemed a touch too warm for a bowl of bivalves. This Kermit Lynch import is pretty good, and inexpensive. Lemon zest and green apples combine on the nose and palate of this light bodied blanc. If one was mischievous and snuck it into a Loire tasting it would not be out of place. I can understand the frustration retailers (and consumers) have when KLWM gets involved with a wine, especially at the higher end, but down in the cheap seats section of retailer’s shelves, I put a lot of faith in their back label, especially for regions I don’t know. More often than not, I like their picks…and this tangy Italian reconfirms that. Importers website notes that its hand harvested, tank raised, from sandy, tuffo soils; it gets a B+ on my scorecard, but a notch higher if value is considered.

I concur with the aforementioned Falanghina, Fiano and Greco. I believe Vermentino was also already mentioned, which works from Sardinia and Toscana. Also a Malvasia comes to mind.
What about Pigato (also already cited), Bosco and Albarola from Liguria.
Pecorino, Trebbiano, Verdicchio and Passerina from Le Marche have to be included as well.
And do not sleep on Grillo, especially a new wine made by Arianna Occhipinti named ‘Contrada Santa Margherita’.

But if I had to choose one wine for this pairing, it would be Graves Blanc champagne.gif

ill be there next month! any cant-misses?

I also suggest Fiano di Avellino. Of course, it depends on the seafood and its preparation. But a good bottle of this wine has a pretty broad taste profile: crisp lemony citrus, complex herbals, and fruit. And though it may play a bit differently with different seafoods and different preparations, I think that it would play well in most cases. Also enjoyable by itself.