Joy.......Vilmart

hitsfan

I picked up a bottle from Benchmark a year ago, so worth keeping an eye out there.

+1

Love Vilmart! Their Grand Reserve is yummy but the GrandCellier is on another level for NV Champagne. Have a few of Vintage Couer wines but haven’t had one recently. And Tran is right, their Ratafia is really excellent, would buy on sight if I could find it here in the US.

Just don’t drink their Ratafia after going through the Vins Clairs. I had been tasting Vins Clairs all day (and all week) and finished my day and week up by doing the same at Vilmart. As I went to leave, some other visitors were tasting the Ratafia and raving about it. They told me I needed to taste it. I explained I was familiar with it and enjoyed it, but didn’t want to intrude on their visit and enjoyment. They insisted again and then so did Laurent Champs. I knew this was dangerous, but I didn’t want things to get awkward so I accepted a glass to taste. Sheer pain followed. As I feared, after taking a small taste and then spitting it out, my teeth ached like they never had; I probably should have just thrown it down my throat; live and learn. After all the acid, the sweetness mixed with more acidity was too much for my teeth to take. I wanted to scream in agony, but held it in. Vilmart’s Ratafia is great stuff, just not after Vins Clairs.

I certainly agree that Vilmart produces some of the more joyful Champagnes out there, and have for many years. Great notes.