Juan Mercado stepping away from Realm - new Paso Grenache Venture

In. Interested and curious.

2 Likes

If its $150 that puts it higher than Saxum releases which are established and have best vineyard access… all depends if they can get Paderewski, G2, or similar fruit from top sites in the appellation

2 Likes

Shadow Canyon, Paderewski and Fulldraw were mentioned in the podcast as sources.

1 Like

Steve you could very well be correct, part of the reason i posted my thought. If it is i doubt i will be buying but we will see where it lands

1 Like

I think it’s hard to justify being over the 100$ threshold in Paso (for now). You have Saxum setting the bar for world class wine at 100$ and a number of consistent producers that stay right around there as well (e.g. Torrin, Turtle Rock, L’Aventure, etc…) Seems like it’s just Daou and Downstream that are above that limit I can quickly think of. I’m looking forward to trying it and seeing where pricing ends up.

2 Likes

+1

would be very aggressive to be over $100 (let alone $150) for a first vintage considering some (almost all) of Paso’s best are all below that price point.

saxum’s eba stuff is obviously more. Law makes some more expensive stuff than 100 right?
andremily with their g2 if you factor in tax and shipping is like 125ish out the door iirc.

i guess if you set a hard line on paso this wine would be up there-meaning excluding alban nearby for price. i guess we’ll see what the production level is (i have no clue) and go from there.
but this isn’t a non-profit and im sure juan wants to make a grenache that rivals alban, andremily, and sqn.

im standing by my $150 guess and unfortunately my price guestimates (or SWAG if you know that acronym) are usually not wrong in the direction i hope they are.

100% agree…even Andremily’s G2 was around $100.

1 Like

Hoping it’s under $100 as well, but there’s Paso based Downstream who came out of the gates a few years ago at around $180 for a zin blend.

Here’s hoping Paso doesn’t turn into Napa South.

Do you mean this?

JUAN7505.jpg

1 Like

go ahead and drop now Doug :slight_smile:

preliminary reviews and prices. :slight_smile:

based on a review i just read its $100

2 Likes

Where was the review? I’ve been curious to read anything about this project.

Doug Wilder’s purely domestic wine report

Thank you for the mention, Jeff. The notes on Riise are from a tasting I did with Juan in Napa at his house last month. There will be a followup when the Reserve is ready. TBD.

Anyone heard anything recently? Beyond the initial ‘thank you’ reply to signing up, haven’t seen any additional communication.

same. id assume shipping of the wine wouldn’t be till the fall anyway so i guess theoretically they could do an actual release sometime between now and sept.

1 Like

When I tasted with Juan in March, the bottles were all shiners and he mentioned we would taste the reserve later.

2 Likes