Just tried Caymus 40th.....

“High fructose corn syrup” would actually fit in it’s tasting note!

Good one!

[cheers.gif]

How does this compare with Apothic Red? Is it worth the additional $40 or so?

Jim, I think a tasting’s in order…

Just named Wine.com’s #1 wine of the year (based on purchases instead of critical opinion)…

link

This is the single worst wine I’ve ever had, and that includes $3 wine you have at wedding receptions and the hotel conference room bar.

It doesn’t even taste like wine, including like big / modern / ripe new world wine. In fact, it really doesn’t even taste like an alcoholic beverage. It’s like something your kids might buy at a convenience store and drink out of a plastic bottle.

I’m an omnivinovore, and I appreciate well made wines in all styles. This is just truly horrible wine that doesn’t even resemble wine, and I think Mike Pobega is as likely to agree as Keith Levenberg.

I hate to pile on, but this vintage of Caymus tasted like cough medicine mixed with kool-aid. It was truly undrinkable.

So to be clear, you are saying you did not like it.

I love that Keith and I are perceived as polar opposites. Now we both love Littorai…

How does wine get so bad? They are competent winemakers. How do they put out something like this to represent their 40th and maintain self respect? Did something go awry?

It’s your opinion.
Who determines if it is “bad?”

Who is right?
Who is wrong?

There are thousands of fans who will fight to the death for their support of this wine…and Silver Oak…etc.
Who is the ultimate arbiter?

Solution:

1 bottle caymus 40th + 750cc bottle of Trader Joe’s blood orange soda = decent sangria!

Add TJ’s frozen fruit mélange and you’ve got the start of a party!

1 Like

Haters gonna hate…but the Wagners are laughing all the way to the bank.

I think they put out exactly the product they were hoping to make… For their target market they hit an absolute grand slam.

1 Like

Who could possibly be the ultimate arbiter other than the self-appointed ultimate Grand Poobah himself?!

From wine.com’s virtual self-talker:

"They appear to be immune to some of winedom’s less than intelligent trends and fads that we see from time to time, and the result is a spectacular 2012 Cabernet Sauvignon 40th Anniversary offering. Its dense purple/black color is followed by copious quantities of crème de cassis and blackberry fruit, silky tannins, a voluptuous texture and stunning purity as well as length. This full-bodied effort is a fabulous example of Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon as well as a tribute to this amazing family. It is so good now, why wait? However, I’m sure that like most vintages of Caymus, it will last for 20-25 years. Amazing! "

Have to agree with Matt. If I had the means, I’d love to make a boatload of wine that 99% of wine drinkers will enjoy and buy. Then I’d make a small amount of wine that wine geeks (and myself) would enjoy, just for fun.

I think we keep forgetting what a tiny part of the wine market we occupy and even then we’re fragmented into different regions. I’m sure if not a single berserker buys a bottle, Caymus will do just fine.

Phill’s question isn’t hating.

The popularity of the wine is a moot point in terms of one’s particular palate. They were really mercenary a good 35 years ago. Prior to that the Estate Cabernet was very affordable but then they began to put all the Estate juice into the Special Selection. Now the Special Selection isn’t even all Estate fruit. To handle increased production, Caymus is building a new, massive wine making facility and storage area in Fairfiled California. Any “Rutherford Dust” in this wine?

It’s inevitable that this wine will be used as a club against big/ripe/modern Napa cabs, but it really, to me, felt like it was on a planet of its own. I’ve had Mollydooker, Martinelli, Marquis Phillips, The Prisoner, Loring and the other poster boys for very high ripeness in red wine, but this really didn’t resemble those wines to me. And while I can understand the appeal of those wines even if they’re not my favorite, this one . . .

It will have its fans, I suppose, among those with a sweet tooth and less fondness for vinous flavors, but I’d be surprised if anyone around here saw much merit in it.

These are the kinds of posts that drive me crazy. Really? Worse than the $3 bottle of wine? I bought 2 bottles but have not tried it yet. The wine snobs sometimes go a bit crazy around here trying to impress everyone with their palate.

Yes, Caymus 40 is worse than 2 Buck Chuck.