K&L No Longer Shipping to Washington State

Really interesting. I a number of items purchased via auctions shipped to me in late December. While it shipped via a non UPS/FedX carrier it arrived very quickly nonetheless. This is a very recent change.

Bummer. I think K&L may have been the first online wine store I bought from. I ordered some BDX 2000 futures from them. That was a long time ago.

Yeah, they have a first rate customer service team and, to me, the gold standard for a website in terms of accurate, real time inventory. Nothing but good things to say about K&L, bummed to not be able to buy there anymore.

K&L is my favorite retailer, but they stopped shipping to Colorado a few years ago. My strong sense is this is all due to regulatory changes/stepped up enforcement and a very risk adverse approach by the business.

I donā€™t know any details about Washingtonā€™s shipping laws, but I agree this is likely the reason. IIRC, K&L was one of the early recipients of ā€œcease and desistā€ notices starting around 15 years ago. I also recall they were party to litigation (maybe through SWRA ?) in some states. Iā€™m guessing they donā€™t want to be accused of breaking a law at the same time they are trying to change it.

Perhaps shipping has also created a big headache.
Read the ā€œUPS Has Gone Berserkoā€ threadā€¦canā€™t imagine having to deal with continued shipping issues as a retailer.

I know this had been said thousands of times, but alcohol shipping laws are some of the most ridiculous regulations ever. So, so silly.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been shopping at K&L since shortly after they opened in Redwood City long before the internet. Their business exploded when they invested in the online software and became more of a national retailer. They arenā€™t going to willing get out of shipping wine by their own choice, itā€™s one of the main pillars of their business model.

-Al

One of my favorite retailers too. Just found out today they are no longer shipping to Arizona. [swearing.gif] [swearing.gif]

I liked them a lot as well. Any suggestions on other auction sites that have good inventory with lower buyer premiums?

They also stopped shipping to Missouri a few years ago, which meant I had to drop out of their Champagne Club.

According to their web site, they now only ship to Alaska, California, District of Columbia, Florida, Idaho, North Dakota, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Nevada, Oregon, and Wyoming.

States without sales tax? Oregon and NH, for sure

The states with no sales tax: Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire and Oregon. DC isnā€™t a state, it does have a sales tax.

Iā€™m sure itā€™s about shipping laws for out of state retailers (as opposed to wineries since there was a Supreme Court case that addressed), and where the laws are enforced.

-Al

Yes, and this is part of the reason I try to avoid wine.com. They work to prop up the existing system as it benefits them via the investment they have made in distribution localization.

Buying into the system only supports the system.

The good news is that not buying at wine.com rarely means you pay more. :slight_smile: (Though it may mean missing certain wines)

I have never bought from wine.com. But curious how it perpetuates the restrictions on interstate alcohol commerce.

Is it possible to still buy from K&L and have a third party shipper send the wines to WA?

Per a thread on the cellartracker forums, they will no longer use third party shippers either.

As Scott mentioned above, they have operations regionally in the US and several different shipping points.

Curious what this means for sales tax on purchases. Itā€™s my understanding that in a scenario where I enlist a 3rd party to pickup the wine on my behalf and then forward to me, the transaction - from their end - wholly takes place in their state and they charge their stateā€™s sales tax. In the event they directly ship the wine to me, the sales tax in my state governs.

Also really curious why a larger outfit like Domaine has not set up shop in Delaware as a receiving point. 0% sales tax would be a huge benefit to customers and close to 2 of their facilities already in NY/DC.

Hi-Time and Rare Wine Co also no longer ship to WA.

1 Like