Kansas City

+1 on Starker’s. Great food and (obviously I am biased, since I wrote the list for a couple of years a couple of years ago) a deep list. It’s very California heavy, since that’s what the restaurant was known for, but there’s a lot of other stuff there.

Phil,

Let me know if you want to do a BBQ tour. Oklahoma Joe’s is a good stop, though they do try to do all things - as Mr. Fleming notes, it is a little funny for a KC BBQ joint to serve Carolina-style, but at least I can get it close to home. Gates can be very good, but my nomination for first stop would be LC’s. It’s usually where I try to take visiting winemakers - Brian Loring insists on going whenever he passes through, and boardmember Bob Foster makes a point of going whenever he visits our fair city.

Jim I’m up any time. LC’s is on my list but it’s also the furthest away. I’ll probably get there this weekend sometime.

I’ve already hit the following in my order of preference:

Oklahoma Joe’s
Woodyard
Gates
Arthur Bryant’s

Would also like to try, good or bad just to compare:

Jack Stack
Rosedale
B.B.'s Lawnside

Sounds good Greg. It’s a definite possibility.

If you can wait on LC’s, let’s go Tuesday or Thursday (dinner at Bluestem with my GF Saturday, which is a restaurant I highly recommend as well). If not, let’s hit one of the other spots. Rosedale and Lawnside are good. Jack Stack is fine, it’s just a little fancier than I think BBQ should be. Maybe we can do 'cue and visit a decent wine spot after.

Welcome to the area Phil.

I would like to take part in these reindeer games. Jim and I know each other, so we can figure something out.

I heard Oklahoma Joe’s has good BBQ. Can anyone confirm that ?

Gents,

I’m game. I will make any excuse to pull a cork and get some good eats. You say when and where.

Hey, people like you Phil. [cheers.gif]

Tom,

Looking forward to seeing you. Dropped by Ryan’s today to return a borrowed bottle of Aperol - if for some reason people can’t get by to see me, let me also recommend the shop of my friend and competitor. [cheers.gif]

Jim is right. I’m going to LCs next week!

Dust,

You can’t go wrong with Coley and Sciara as your wine and BBQ guru’s in KC. I also have a feeling Coley has some gems stashed behind his counter!

Best thing I had at Jack Stack’s were the burnt ends and beans. Beans…were off the hook. But yes, fancier than most BBQ joints.

I did have a great meal sitting at the bar at JJ’s. Fun wine list and Matt is super cool and loves obscure wines and older vintages. Check it out while you’re there for the next…sheesh.

See you in the fall.

JJ’s is a good place, and a good place to eat at the bar actually.

In Westport, just north of the Plaza, I like Beer Kitchen (obviously not for their wine list, but extensive interesting beer options) and Westport Cafe & Bar is supposed to be very good but I haven’t tried it yet.

Doing some thread necromancy here!

I’ve just moved back to the KC area (I’m an Atchison native, and academia has been kind enough to bring me back home to my alma mater Benedictine), and hoping to get to know some of the other KC area wine geeks.

So, who are the KC folks? I’ve identified a few of you already, but I figure there are probably more. And let me go ahead and throw this out: KC Berserker offline sometime soonish?

Bump.

Ryan, message Jim Coley, or go see him at Gomers in midtown. He’s the Berserker to know in KC. I’ve since moved back to STL myself. Congrats on going home, hope it treats you and yours as well as it has us!

Thanks Mike. Jim introduced himself in response to my post in the New Members thread, so going to Gomer’s is already very much on my to do list!

Ryan, I’d be up for an offline. Coming up on very busy travel schedule plus holidays but maybe we can find a date that works. Feel free to pm me. Cheers, Chris

Answering the Kansas City roll call. [thumbs-up.gif]

Hello Chris and Scott! Yes, the holidays are tricky, but maybe early January (before the spring semester really kicks into gear)? Maybe the weekend of Jan 15 - 16 (I’m waiting to see if I can get a tasting organized for my group the previous weekend, otherwise that might be possible).