Kathryn Kennedy: Where have you been all my life ?

Jonathan, so happy you have discovered one of California’s hidden gems. Great age-worthy cabs that are made in a very old school style.

To add a little more history to this thread:
-The story I have heard is that Katheryn planted the vineyard to prevent an eminent domain action from taking part of her property to allow access to a neighbors property to develop. By turning her property into an working agricultural farm the neighbor had to find a different route.
-IIRC Jeffery Patterson of Mount Eden Vineyards helped with the planning and planting of the vineyard.
-The first two crops from the Kennedy vineyard were produced by Mount Eden Vineyards under their (now defunct) MEV label as “Kennedy Vineyard” cab (1976 & 1977.) Would love to try these wines today.

Marty is a great guy making wonderful wines. Really nice to see him at the Silicon Valley Auction last spring.

Edit to add this link to an oral history with Katheryn: http://drbenniontrustfund.org/Wines_and_Winemakers_of_the_Santa_Cruz_Mountains/PDFs_(Images)_files/465.00-488.01%20Kathryn%20Kennedy%20Winery.pdf

I have had the 1995 several times in the past two years and it has been beautiful.

I know this link has been posted in one of the history threads, but there is an interview with Kathryn and Marty from 1994 that covers the origin and history of the winery up until that time. It is from Wines and Winemakers of the Santa Cruz Mountains - An Oral History 1992-1994 from Charles L. Sullivan. Link is to the Table of Contents since there are a number of interviews that are probably of interest (I particularly enjoyed the Gemello interview). Just scroll down the list for Kathryn Kennedy.

http://drbenniontrustfund.org/Wines_and_Winemakers_of_the_Santa_Cruz_Mountains/PDFs_(Images).html

Cheers!

Steve

Just saw that Sean beat me to the link!

I was fortunate to have started my wine career at Kathryn Kennedy. I had just returned from the first Gulf War, and was celebrating my return with a friend who opened a 1985 Kathryn Kennedy (and 1986 Gaja Barbaresco…it was a fun night!). Let’s just say I got the “wine bug” that all of us are all too familiar with and I never looked back on an almost 30-year career working with wine. It all started the next day, when I called the winery to see if I could visit. Debbie (Marty’s wife) informed me they were not open to the public but they were bottling the next day and I was welcome to come help. We bottled the very small 1990 Estate Cabernet (the last dry-farmed vintage) and I had so much fun (especially when I got paid with Estate Cabernet) that I ended up volunteering at the winery for the next 4+ years, even spending my multi-week “vacations” working harvest alongside Marty and other dedicated volunteers. After missing most of the 1995 harvest because of work, I gave up my big paycheck in the City and became Marty’s Assistant winemaker. Under his direction, we moved and expanded the 1996 Lateral production to Silver Mountain Winery. I continued on for the 1997 vintage before moving to the North Bay, while Marty hired Chris Condos to be his Lateral Winemaker and eventually his Lateral co-proprietor. They have done a great job over the last 20+ years turning Lateral into an excellent 100% organic Napa Merlot/Cabernet Franc blend.

From my memory, the Estate vineyard was planted on its own roots (cuttings from Martin Ray) in 1973 to stop a planned road that was being proposed to cut through their property. The original Estate was owned by Kathryn, her sister and her brother…the property did expand to over 12 acres in the late 1980’s and retracted over the last 15 years to I believe 8 acres and now even less. Marty always knew that the property would eventually be sold, as it really was a family compound, in prime Silicon Valley Real Estate. I believe at one-time the estate could be considered the most valuable vineyard in the Bay Area. Not for the vineyard but for potential home values. Marty did a great job holding on for as long as he has and too have some of the original own-rooted vineyard still producing almost 50 years later is historic.

Also, the first vintage was 1977 (not 1976) under the MEV label (great wine) and Kathryn’s first vintage under her own label was 1979. Jeffrey turned over wine making duties to Marty in 1981 and eventually Marty took over fully after Kathryn’s death, but it was really his winery for many years prior. I could go on with many other stories and details, but I tell the story of the 1996 Syrah from the Maridon Vineyard. I hate to even mention this amazing wine, as I am always on the hunt for more bottles, but one of my proudest moments, as the Assistant winemaker was when Darryl Groom, former Penfolds Grange winemaker declared that the 1996 Maridon Syrah was the greatest American Syrah he had ever tasted. This was the first harvest off the 3rd leaf and we actually harvested raisin clusters just a day prior to the harvest. We had no great expectations but knew it was special from the barrel. I believe Marty produced 4 vintages from this amazing vineyard which was pulled out for homes after the death of the owners.

This is my longest post ever but I want to praise Kathryn…she was a Stanford educated, divorced, single mom…and then she became a wine pioneer. She was the first women in California and maybe the New World to have a wine named after herself. There are so many great female winemakers and owners, going back a hundred fifty years in California, and Kathryn is one of them and I am fortunate to have been a part of the great history of this amazing vineyard and winery. Thanks for reading. I love seeing the love on Berserkers for Kathryn Kennedy, as I have so many great memories and Marty deserves the praise and support.

Tom, thanks for the update. What an interesting story!

Yes, great story. I had a few bottles of their first few vintages of Maridon Syrah, but think I drank them all.

-Al

I have 1 bottle of the 1996 Syrah left and a pretty good collection of older Kennedy wines including a prized 1977 MEV and even a 3.0L of the 2001, which started this thread. It has always been a great wine.

Had the 2006 Estate last night for dessert after a large collection of Rhys. It was damn tasty and very primary at 13 years. The group did not leave a drop left in the bottle…

That was a tasty bottle Sean!

Tom - so where do you live these days? I have a few older bottles and it would be great to do a KK offline!

Yes, very tasty bottle, Sean.

Ian, sounds like a great idea, especially considering I started this great thread, would be interested in attending, if it happens, and would consider combining the event with a planned west coast trip. If Marty could join that would be a thrill, and a theme I have never seen.

Also a big thanks to Tom and Sean for your inside perspective. Knowing the whole story of what a remarkable woman Kathryn was, and her pioneering spirit made a great wine even more magical. I did after hearing such positive feedback, call Marty. Had a great conversation, and am working on getting an order sent my way. champagne.gif

An offline is a great idea and though I live in Napa, I would be happy to travel to a more central location in the Bay Area. I promise to go deep into the cellar, though Marty has an amazing Library, so it could be special if he could attend.

After your post I went on the hunt to find some 1996 Syrah. After a bit of searching I found a retailer in California who has a few bottles. Todd Serota at VinoQuest has 10 bottles. Here was his message when I inquired.

“Interesting that you’re expressing interest in this wine as very few people
seem to know that it even exists. Almost all of the other bottles I’ve sold
were after I tasted people on it. It’s fantastic stuff, as you likely know.
Anyway, I show 10 bottles in inventory @ $120 each that I bought directly
from the winery on release and have cellared perfectly ever since. Please
let me know what you’d like to do. Thanks.”

FYI I am not associated with Todd or VinoQuest. I have also yet to purchase from VinoQuest. Just wanted to share.

I Know Todd from the race track way back when I used live in NC. Todd used to run some darn good track days. He even came all the way out to VIR and we had a blast.

Sean

I remember Todd from the old Wine Spectator Boards when they were popular. He used to do “Serota Scores.” I also remember he had a glowing review of the 96 Maridon from the 1998 Hospice du Rhone. The Maridon stole the show at that event even in the company of Alban, Qupe, A Murray. I bought some of the 96 and 97 but sort of lost track after that, vaguely remembering the above story about the vineyard being replaced by mansions.