KB News from Shanken News Daily

While I’m a long-time purchaser of KB wines and a fan, I’m curious as to whether this direction will work. Is KB such a premier name that it’s acquired “cult” status such that it can command prices in the mid-$100s for some wines? As others note, there’s a lot of stiff competition as it is, and adding “premium” tiers seems like a strategy that may be hard to win long term . . .

KB has been quite successful with their PR and marketing over the past few years, and I do not think that that will change anytime soon.

Has KB actually made the announcement about their new structure and plans to their current and potential wine club members yet or just in the trade piece Adam originally referenced?

My guess is that they are hoping that ‘brand KB’ will become the ‘Silver Oak’ of the 90s and that the general consumer will equate the name with ‘can’t miss’ quality and consistency at a premium price and will get loads and loads of placements at top restaurants…

Cheers.

I received an email noting the “Observation” series. Nothing about pricing or the “Grower’s Series”

From the email (highlight mine):

In The Gallery, we welcome you to enjoy both rare library wines and our newly minted, Observations Series. Winemaker Nico Cueva identified several unique lots from the 2016 vintage that were so distinct, he felt strongly they shouldn’t be blended into the traditional portfolio of KB wines. This was the beginning of our concept for Observations – to identify something so exceptional that it would serve as a hallmark for the vintage. These wines push boundaries while honoring the Kosta Browne commitment to quality, intensity and elegance. > Given the extremely limited volume of the Observations Series wines, we are unable to include these within our normal Spring and Fall Offerings > and instead look forward to sharing them with you in The Gallery.

Andrew,

Thanks. Was this sent just to wine club members or those on the waiting list as well?

My guess is that what Adam pointed to will be picked up in the main WS shortly and you will see loads more press on it - all helping raise awareness for KB. As I said, they have done a great job maintaining presence and pertinence - not something easy to do with as many wines and brands out there these days.

Cheers!

Hi Larry - I’m a “member” (I guess it is?) as I’ve been buying from the KB list for about 10 years now, so I don’t know if waitlist folks also received.

Just received an offer for the Observation wines. Wish list only.

Kosta Browne Winery

Dear Steve,

Over the past two years, we have been quietly curating a new series of wines to share with you. It began with several unique lots from the 2016 vintage that were so distinct, Winemaker Nico Cueva felt strongly they should stand out from the traditional portfolio of Kosta Browne wines.

This initiated the concept for Observations – to identify a wine so exceptional that it could serve as a hallmark for the vintage. These wines push boundaries while honoring our commitment to quality, intensity and elegance.

Given the extremely limited volume of the Observations Series, we are unable to include them in our normal spring and fall offerings. However, we look forward to sharing these wines with you exclusively in The Gallery, a dedicated space for members to experience our approach to winemaking, which will be completed in August. We also understand that a visit may not be possible in your near future, so we have set aside a few bottles of the Observations wines to share with those who are interested. We have activated your account with an opportunity to wish for the Observations Series now through July 20th.

How much $$$???

$150???

I would hope not…

Less than Cirq?

Last year’s KB SVDs were around $100. Or a little less.

$95-$150

2 different Pinot’s. $150 & $125. Also some Chards

No email, but when I log in I see the following:

2016 Mt. Carmel Chardonnay - Heavily influenced by its soil combination the Chardonnay from this site is powerful and dense. Featuring tantalizing acidity intertwined with textural cream. $95

2016 El Diablo Chardonnay - Perched on the eastern edge of the Russian River Valley appellation with 500 ft. elevation, this site contains ideal weather to grow Chardonnay. The result is low yields with intense, flavor-packed-clusters. $95

2016 Mt. Carmel Pinot Noir - From one of the first vineyards planted in Sta. Rita Hills, the Pinot produced from the Mt. Carmel vineyard is refined, bright and uplifting. $125

2016 Free James Pinot Noir - Embracing the spirit of some of the first settlers; James McIntosh, James Dawson and James Black, we have accepted the challenge to produce a Pinot Noir from this area with large, round tannins, that will stand the test of time. $150

Not sure if that’s the full range, or just what I can wish for.

Fuller notes here (seems like these are the four):

Received allocation email yesterday, I was wish listed 2 of each.

Over the past two years, we have been quietly curating a new series of wines to share with you. It began with several unique lots from the 2016 vintage that were so distinct, Winemaker Nico Cueva felt strongly they should stand out from the traditional portfolio of Kosta Browne wines.

This initiated the concept for Observations – to identify a wine so exceptional that it could serve as a hallmark for the vintage. These wines push boundaries while honoring our commitment to quality, intensity and elegance.

Given the extremely limited volume of the Observations Series, we are unable to include them in our normal spring and fall offerings. However, we look forward to sharing these wines with you exclusively in The Gallery, a dedicated space for members to experience our approach to winemaking, which will be completed in August. We also understand that a visit may not be possible in your near future, so we have set aside a few bottles of the Observations wines to share with those who are interested.

Rumor has it that a fowl oriented winery group will announce its purchase of KB tomorrow.

Quack quack?

I see somebody has his shotgun ready for a big migration.

Wearing my Elmer Fudd hat as I post.

Of course, I’ll feel foolish if your post is a decoy.