Kentucky Derby and Louisville, KY

Love that Billecart. Glad you had a good time

Sounds like you had a great time! We went many years ago when my sister lived in KY. I have to admit being a big horse fan so never left the Paddock area - just really loved being close up as the horses were getting prepped and walked to the track and back. Very different experience than being in the stands. totally agree with your observation on it being a totally sensory overload and being gassed at the end of the day… and now wondering why we’ve waited so long since we’ve gone again so thanks for the reminder!!

My friend had a less-than-pleasant experience this past weekend. She and her boyfriend had nice seats, but had to dodge way too much overflowing garbage in the three containers near their seats. Waits in lines to get a beverage were constantly 20 minutes. The facility ran out of bottled water very early, and no water fountains were in sight.

And her boyfriend’s pal who was sharing a $20,000 table in Millionaire’s Row reported that the included dinner for their group never arrived, and they had to bribe an employee to go downstairs to grab a bunch of hot dogs and fries for them.

They also had been told to forget about dinner reservations, but easily found spots at two of the best restaurants via OpenTable.

Resurrecting this thread. Thinking of going for the first time this year and trying to identify a decent section for tickets. I didn’t buy the presale because I wasn’t quite sure where to look and was too concerned with getting the wrong seat at the wrong price. I’d like to keep it under $1K per, but if there’s a good reason to go higher I could be convinced, up to maybe $1.5-2K or so for Derby+Oaks. Access to bathrooms and beer without a long wait is important.

I have lodging so no problem there.

Wow. I had no idea it can cost THAT much for a ticket to the KY Derby.

Yeah, I was surprised too. The infield is cheap and easy to get, but I’m too old for that. Other than those general admission seats it looks to me that seats start at $500-700, and that’s for bleacher-style seats in sections with limited view and no cover. That is for two full days of races, but I don’t think $1K really gets that much.

IF it is anything like the Preakness, I would not go if you only get bleacher seats, no matter what the cost. IF going and money is no object (within reason) I would pay up to get what you want. IF you are not a regular, you are not getting good seating and not annoyingly crowded, you will get nothing but crowds and drunks, IMO. Plus, people watching should be awesome if you get to the right level.

Good luck Phil. Pray for no rain. THAT would suck.

The most concise seating summary I’ve found so far is this “lifestyle” blog link: http://trippingblonde.com/a-guide-to-buying-tickets-to-the-kentucky-derby/