knife block

very nice indeed. Is that an insert or do you have to buy the drawer that way?

That what just broke. The wood came apart.

Ha. Typically she doesn’t but on the rare occasion she grabs it, uses it and leaves it in a bowl of water in the sink to wash later. [snort.gif]

Those are just two totally bamboo in-drawer knife holders inserted into one of my drawers. They are pretty long holders, so make sure to measure first if you ever want to go this route.

http://www.totallybamboo.com/p434/In-Drawer-Knife-Block.htm

k.

From what I have read Charlie has no say in what his wife chooses to do neener

True story.

Are these blocks good for the edges ?

Question- do the magnetic strip ones hung on the wall do any damage or issues with the knives??

no, and the magnet is incredibly strong.

I have the Shun 22-slot block, which is the best off-the-shelf block I have seen. Not perfect, but it does have a cleaver slot (won’t quite hold my Sugimoto #6, though).

Thanks Alan- going this route. Don’t want a block on counter and drawer space is limited.

These…
image.jpg
No metal to metal contact. All store neatly in a drawer under my work surface.
image.jpg
Have a wood block that came with my Kershaw knives that my Wife uses.

Yes. They do if the knife is taken off the magnetic strip incorrectly. The piece I have sucks - it has two metallic strips about 3-4mm wide by 18" long mounted on hardwoods.

The knife must be pull directly off or levered away from the edge. It seems like common sense, but I’ve had two very nice knives(prosumer level… Crumpacker and Takeda) which now have hemisphere defects (3-4mm in diameter… [head-bang.gif]) in the blade when someone unknowingly rolled knife off of strip against the blade.

Magnetic strips would work if they are hidden behind some nice wood as in the post above.

This is awesome. Just ordered 1.

Thanks for sharing

For those who like mag racks, check this one out. And just to tie the Hattori thread into this, there are 5 hattori KDs in the middle.

k.
magrack.jpg

And here is one from Town Culter’s site. 9 foot long in lacewood with over a thousand magnets.

k.
magrack2.jpg

photo (2).JPG
in the drawer - no worries about damaging knives or other living things
real simple, cheap and works

huge fan of the Kapoosh blocks because you can put many in them.

http://www.amazon.com/Kapoosh-Knife-Block-Light-Woodgrain/dp/B000Q4I9LM/ref=pd_sim_sbs_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1FEQGMFFJ9GM1CAJVH51

Seems to me that these have to be slowly dulling your blades, or you’d be cutting up the tentacles. I could be totally wrong about that, but that’s what kept me from buying one.

I bought one of these

Basic, but does the job.