Kosta Browne 2019 spring release thoughts and other

So 2 years between releases. Odd. I wonder what the impetus was?

Tom

I don’t entirely follow the stuff farther up in the quotations, but there wasn’t two years between releases. They released the appellation wines 2019 in January, the 2018s a year earlier.

Sorry, Chris, we got sidetracked onto AldenAlli.

AA released its 2017 PN in the fall of 2019, and then reoffered it in the Spring of 2020 and again this past month.

My guess is that AldenAlli didn’t sell through its 2017 because of the pandemic and is trying to clear that out before selling 2018.

Kosta Browne has been consistent in selling each year wines from 2 years prior, with the exception of the Estate Series wines, which seem to be 3 years later (at least sometimes).

I bought the 2017 from the winery in August of 2019 on their fall release email. They have yet to release the 2018. If what Andrew says is accurate then there will be two years between releases.

Tom

Bingo! Newer brand + COVID can be brutal.

$75 for Appellation series Pinot seems steep, but they sell out every year-kudos to them. Lucia Appellation wine is $45 (Pisoni, Gary’s, Rosella’s, Soberanes vineyards). Siduri is $35 for their Sonoma Coast, Russian River and Santa Lucia Appellation wines. Calera is $25 for their Appellation wine. Would be interesting to line them all up and see who the favorite is?

Might as well use this thread for the Fall release, which opened yesterday. Any word/thoughts?

Prices up $2/bottle to $100, except for 4-barrel, which is up $5.

Mags when available carry a $50 premium ($250)

I haven’t bought from the Fall release in a few years so got pushed to wish list. I took a couple there in March for a tasting and it was cool. I’m drifting away from KB for QPR reasons. Enjoy the wine just not for the economics

If you make wish list requests, I’m highly confident you’ll get them. The way their allocation model works is that you get allocated what you bought last year, but you can easily go “up” from there just by wish list requesting more.

Whether you want to do that or not, of course, is up to you.

Used to buy haven’t in a while. Got wish requested can’t get Gap’s Crown, Keefer, Guisiti and Rosella’s which would you guys pick. Have moved away from them as they have moved away from the really big, bold style. But willing to try a few.

Those are all great vineyards that I have enjoyed from other producers. Have only had the Gap’s Crown KB and it was fantastic.

Surprised to see this in Safeway in DC today.
IMG_8449.jpg

Surprised it took so long

Yep. They sold to the PA monopoly through the ‘02 (maybe ‘03) vintage, then reappeared a few years ago.