Kutch 2019 lineup with Jamie and the crew

Reviving an old thread, but the 2019 Falstaff Pinot Noir is flat out gorgeous tonight. So much more material for it to evolve, but such a pleasure.

1 Like

Falstaff is for me the king of the hill for Jamieā€™s reds. I too think a lot of the 2019, David. I had thought about opening one last night, but my wife wonā€™t drink red so I have been working through a 2020 Trout Gulch, both last night and right now, too.

• 2020 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (6/15/2023)
    Opened this yesterday so it's had some contained ox time. Doing a glass before dinner so my palate is good and focused. I consistently enjoy Trout Gulch, this bottle too. Some of the new oak (I think it sees about 20%), it continues to have a seasoning effect on this vintage. Some vanilla in the aroma, some toasty imprint of the wood seasons the palate of the wine, too. And for me, seasoning is fine, as it enhances the wine. Cool flavors here. Lots of lemon, both from a curd and an oil impression. The brightness of the lemony character is the main feature, along with some green apple, crushed nuts, mandarin orange and some mineral and lemon peel in the finish. Previous bottles of this conveyed a more generous, softer impression but this one is balancing out, with some of the citrusy element giving it some spine into the finish, and the weight seems more medium to me. I like how this has evolved since my last one.

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

I popped a 2019 McDougall for company last weekend and didnā€™t find it wound up at all. An hour in it was quite delicious.

1 Like

BTW way the Chardonnay in trout gulch is called clone 17 or Robert Young Clone which is a cross of Wente and Dijon.

1 Like

My impression tonight is of a little more richness. Sweet lemon, white flowers, white spice, sweet earth, sea shell. A lot of things Iā€™d say about other vintages. But my early impression is a little more richness and heft than when I tried it young. Maybe a light whiff of toast and a hint of caramel?

Gorgeous wine. Maybe looking a little more Meursault than Chablis right now.

Coolā€“we get big white fluffy dog and the bottle. The picture doesnā€™t do justice though as to how big he really is!

Iā€™ll join you, as I finished off the 2020 Trout Gulch this week.

• 2020 Kutch Chardonnay Trout Gulch Vineyard - USA, California, Santa Cruz Mountains (6/15/2023)
    Opened this yesterday so it's had some contained ox time. Doing a glass before dinner so my palate is good and focused. I consistently enjoy Trout Gulch, this bottle too. Some of the new oak (I think it sees about 20%), it continues to have a seasoning effect on this vintage. Some vanilla in the aroma, some toasty imprint of the wood seasons the palate of the wine, too. And for me, seasoning is fine, as it enhances the wine. Cool flavors here. Lots of lemon, both from a curd and an oil impression. The brightness of the lemony character is the main feature, along with some green apple, crushed nuts, mandarin orange and some mineral and lemon peel in the finish. Previous bottles of this conveyed a more generous, softer impression but this one is balancing out, with some of the citrusy element giving it some spine into the finish, and the weight seems more medium to me. I like how this has evolved since my last one.

Posted from CellarTracker

Went with the 2017 Trout Gulch tonight. Just a blast of lemon and tart pineapple, super delicious if not as complex or elegant as the 19 we had the other day. Still totally youthful tasting.

A great thing about Jamieā€™s transparent style is that you get a distinct look at different sites and vintages.