La Paulee 2017

I’ve only been to the Grand, and people tell me the Verticals is typically a little less crowded. But I’ve never had a problem tasting whatever I wanted to tasted at a Grand tasting, and not feeling overly crowded. Sure, some tables (the most “elite” producers) will ebb and flow with people, but it’s rare to have more than a half dozen people at any particular table, and you can generally flit around and find tables where there are just a couple of people (and sometimes none).

The Vertical is crowded but not as the Grand. Sometimes there has been two sessions, but it is now one, so more people.
Yes, you can try all 31 producers, but that is 93 wines, so you should concentrate in what you want and yes, try all 3 at the table. There are some that you will pass w/o tasting. I prefer doing the oldest first and move to younger.
Tables as set in order, so you can follow the room in a snake like motion. First are whites and then reds. I have not been to the Rainbow room in Rockefeller Plaza so not sure if they will do exactly as they had done in Craft restaurant
If you enter exactly at 11, you may want to try some whites, but if you are not one of the first to enter or arrive a little later (arrive late or coat check), it is best to go to the reds (much less crowded initially). I always do reds first unless the Lafon table or Boillot table is free so I stop there to refresh my palate, and move to reds. Reds are usually set in order of popularity, tops at the end and more crowded (Roumier, Rousseau, Comte Liger, Lambrays). Wine usually available until the end, but be sure to check Roumier and Rousseau because the may ran out of it if you keep for the very end.
Roumier and Lambrays has the oldest vertical, so don’t miss it.
But you will have time to try anything you want!

Over the years, the verticals seem to be getting more crowded. Still far less than many mass tasting events…and it’s rare to see more than 6 - 7 tasters waiting at a table. They’ve never run out of wine that I’ve noticed. It’s really a super way to compare and contrast vintages allowing very useful (IMHO) impressions of a producer’s style. There used to be more time to chat, especially compared to the Grand Tasting. You still can, but it might take a little more effort. All in all it’s very civilized. No shortage of wines to try. These won’t be the “stars” of the tasting but looking forward to sampling producers I’m not familiar with:

Duroche
Didier Fornerol
Genot-Boulanger
Meurgey-Croses
E&E Vocoret

RT

I’ve never been to the verticals where it is just one session so I don’t know how crowded it will be this year. In the past I’ve not had a problem tasting what I wanted to. I don’t get through them all mostly because I spend too much time talking to the winemakers who I’ve met before from my trips to Burgundy. I need to do less gabbing and more tasting.

I’ll make sure I hunt you down :wink:

I love Vocoret. The wines are very classic, and true Chablis. Genot Boulanger has been a favorite of mine for a while. Great wines across the board that have only gotten better. Duroche I struggle with. I’ve always heard great things, and I see a lot of it on social media, but the few guys who have been honest with me don’t get the wines either.

Always a pleasure…looking forward to your insights.

RT

While I’m not going to any La Paulee events this year (saving up for a bathroom remodel) I’ve been to the Verticals twice and I’ve never had a problem trying all the wines I wanted to try. Popular tables can be crowded but it’s just a short wait. Top notch event.

I’m looking forward to La Paulee this year. Dipped my toe two years ago, now I plan to attend several events.

Is anyone interested in an offline either Thursday or Friday nights? Doesn’t even have to be burgs!

John

Heading to the Thursday lunch and Friday Verticals. Would love to say hello to fellow berserkers!

Am going to the Grand Tasting, would like to meet folks and put faces to names finally. Would be up for a Wednesday offline if anyone’s doing one.

I think a few of us are planning a BYO dinner at a location TBD for Friday night. Any others interested in getting together let me know and I will share the details when available.

John

Any events or happenings after the Grand Tasting for those NOT attending the bacchanalian dinner?