La Tache gone bad

I’m with Ralph.
I’m not “upset.” The whole tone is off. I’m not criticizing Rebecca the person. I’m just looking at words on a page.

Not sure and can’t find it but wasn’t there a thread similar to this a few years ago? I seem to remember someone posting about rare wines they found/or were left to them by someone.

Cheers,
Curt

How were the bottles stored? Temp, humidity, etc.

There have been a few of these over the years. I prefer to assume they’re sincere until there is reason to think otherwise, which I have not seen yet in this instance. But I understand other people are guarded.

Also color me skeptical given the similarities to this previous thread. Maybe the mods should make it easier to post pictures on this site? :wink:

Great [berserker.gif] thread, but needs more drift.

Okay, why has the wine “gone bad” as the poster says? Did it somehow join a gang, become a terrorist, or commit adultery?? [drinkers.gif] How’s that for drift?!

I’m skeptical that so many people are skeptical. Perhaps it’s a conspiracy?

Post #8

While I understand skepticism with posts like this, there are several factors that make this very different from prior similar threads. First, the OP said nothing about selling any wine. She simply asked at first if the bottles were bad. She then said “If they are not worth keeping, I could use the space for different bottles,” suggesting to me at least she intended to simply throw them away. She didn’t ask anyone what they were worth or solicit offers.

When my wife and I die, one or more nieces and nephews will inherit my cellar, including the aforementioned La Tache if I go sooner rather than later. While I hope they’re smart enough to seek out a reputable auction house or retailer for assistance, they may come to a place like this for information. A few of them are interested in wine but not knowledgeable. If they do come here, please be nice to them.

The point being, from my vantage point, that with over 100 bottles and you happen to choose the ones valued in the $thousands to just happen to ask about. No offense but threads like this pop up all them time and usually it is someone trying to get over.

I hope that Ms. J works with Ian Dorin to sell authentic wines at a fair price to buyers who will drink and enjoy them. That said, I’m with the skeptics -

1. I’m not Tom Hill but I’ve been (primarily lurking) on wine boards for years and have seen several similar discussions that have gone south.
  2. Why those wines? Any others?
  3. The initial post speculates that the wine is bad but post 8 indicates that it has been stored in a temperature-controlled cooler.
  4. Speaking of post 8, how/why does a wine neophyte have a wine cooler in her house (unless perhaps it was part of the inheritance)?
  5. The “haven’t tried to sell to anyone here” doesn’t resonate with me. If this were a scam of any sophistication it would not start with an offer to sell.

I’m not happy or proud to be skeptical in this case and hope to be proven wrong, but I think that the posters who are “shocked, shocked I say” at the skeptics are naive.

In any event, working with a reputable Auction House is the right way to go. I’m glad to see that no one has suggested CC and I hope that no one has PMed with buy offers.

It would seem that these were the oldest bottles in Uncle’s collection.
Thus the question of whether they have gone bad makes sense if the OP knows little about the value of cellar aging fine wine.

For example, look at the original post in the thread linked in post #44: “I am hoping these bottles will help pay for some cellar upgrades and my upcoming twins. Would anybody be interested in the following?”

I’m not defending the OP, just saying there are different factors present here that should be considered. (And nobody said a scammer here would be sophisticated.)

Brian
Exactly my thoughts when I read it. She picked the only two bottles out of all those yet she knows nothing about wine. Oh and she has a home wine cellar herself. Time for my favorite phrase…Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out something isn’t quite right.

Oh and posting pics is super easy, you can even do it from your phone.

Jeez people, what’s the matter with all of you?

Would a real scam involve a dead relative and/or sick pets??!?!?!

Oh wait…

Read her post #6

Most people, even those who are not familiar with the secrets of the inner sanctums of winespeak, know enough to google. I imagine that is how Rebecca found us in the first place. And the most relevant word in any google search given the bottles are of course La Tache and Haut Brion.

Sorry guys, the paranoia is catching up with us.

Thanks for reminding me; I had been meaning to google “sell my wine collection” and “value of my wine collection” to see where Berserkers lands in the results. I obviously have too much time on my hands, but not enough time to keep scrolling past the first 5 pages to find the first mention of WB for those searches.

With that I’m done w/ this one. It’s not that big a deal and not worth more time. I just got frustrated with the push back against those cautioning a bit of (healthy, IMO) skepticism.