Valflaunes
Clos Marie
Mas Morties
Domus Maximus
Pena Reserve
Domaine Gauby ‘Muntada’
Clos du Prieur
Domaine Puig Parahy

Oh, I definitely understand about the grape composition. My comment was about wines like Barral’s different cuvees. The regular Faugeres is about 50% Carignan/40% Grenache/10% Cinsault, while the Jadis is 50% Carignan/40% Syrah/10% Grenache, and the Valiniere is 80% Mourvedre/20% Syrah. While there are definitely differences in the wines, they all taste like they’re from the Languedoc and all taste like Barral.

L&E has had the Barral wines on the shelf, although I’m not sure if they have them right now or not.

And yes, there’s a garrigue quality in many of the wines from Southern France, whether from Languedoc or Provence.

Hah! I had assumed (go me) that the Barral wines were predominantly Grenache… I guess this just supports the argument that it doesn’t matter what the varietal composition is – the wine exudes the place not the grapes :slight_smile:

I’m sure bumping a thread this old is some sort of sin, especially for my first post ever on the forum. But I’d rather bump a relevant thread than just flat out start a new one to promote myself.

So I make wine in the Languedoc and it’s winter so I’m doing everything I can to avoid pruning while my dad does all the hard work. :slight_smile:

I started a video blog called Love that Languedoc where we roam around and visit vineyards, winemakers, experts, sommeliers, local celebrities, and what have you. I link to it in my profile. I don’t want my first post to be an unwelcome link, so I’m gonna wait for some of you to say “Hey, we’re lazy. Post the goddamn link in the goddamn thread.”

The blog is bilingual, so only the odd-numbered episodes are in English. I actually just posted the first of three episodes with Chateau de Lascaux who was mentioned by our Kermit Lynch stooge. And I’ll be posting a subtitled version of my interview with Aimé Guibert (Mas de Daumas Gassac) tomorrow! Exciting right? So can I plague you guys with updates whenever I hit a vineyard or winery from this thread?

Also some feedback would be nice. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

grange des peres- Mourvedre, Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon (and sometimes Counoise)…outstanding wines
mas cal demoura- neal rosenthal import-great rose and reds

edited to correct wine composition

Ch. de la Negly = epic wine

That is all.

I was under the impression Grange des Peres was a Cab/Syrah/Others blend?

Cab, Syrah, Mourvedre

La Peira en Damaisella is amazing (fair warning, I do sell it). Negly too.

L’hortus is a great bang for the buy house. The Ermitage wines too.

Mas Jullien is one of the best domaines in that region.

Ryan,
Enjoyed your video blog. What fun for you. Aime Guibert is quite a character. Nice job.

A few good names have been mentioned (e.g. Prieure de St Jean de Bebian is a fav of mine).

I am surprised, though, that nobody mentioned Domaine de Montcalmes.

But maybe I should keep my mouth shut… their production is rather small… ignore that winery… [whistle.gif]

hehehe … Don’t worry. Secrets last a long time here although I’m doing my best to change that.

I think La Peira is the top producer in the region…

Granges des Peres (TRY THEIR WHITE WINE TOO!)
Montcalmes
Negly (*****)
L’Edre

Good “bargain” is Nizas.

Have you had La Peira’s white wine? It’s ridiculous. They only make like 3 barrels a year so far, but wow.

Thanks! It’s a lot of fun to make. :slight_smile:

Does anybody know how to get in touch with the guy at Grange des Peres? I’ve heard so many weird stories about him that paint varying pictures of him ranging from really nice guy to total meanie.

yes, you are correct edited my post

I have not - trying to find some bottles!!!

2008 Puydeval Cab Franc is another bargain.

I have some bottles of the '06 and it is quite a good bargain

Besides the very good producers already mentioned, I recommend Domaine Alain Chabanon, for his Bordeaux blends, Rhone varietals, and very hard to find but excellent sweet white.