Large format

I rarely buy mags and never anything bigger. For me occasions where they are practical just happen too infrequently. I find that even when you host a group large enough to open a Mag, a variety of bottles is more appealing.

I’m with the crowd who never buys anything bigger than a mag. Had a few at one time, only ever drank one, ended up selling the rest.

In general, my mags are a good cross section of what I buy – I’ve got some beaujolais, musar, red + white burg, muscadet, chinon, nebbiolo, oregon chard + pinot, champagne, cremant, etc. Try not to buy more than about 4 a year, as that’s about as many as I drink.

Why that pattern? Because I serve them at larger gatherings at home, where the food is usually similar in style to what I cook on less grand occasions.

I purchased 2) 6L of 1998 Dom Perignon and will keep for mine or my brothers wedding day.

I had opened a 15 liter of 1994 Rauzan Segla for my sons wedding.We decanted it in Magnum decanters.The bottle Was such a curiosity that a lot of people wanted to bring it home(BTW the wine was delicious :yum:).

Nothing. I never find the occasion to open them. I am moving aggressively in the other direction: 375s. I am always in the mood for a glass or maybe two.

Don, has anyone ever told you that you have a nice 'but? [wink.gif]

I have 10 (and counting) double mags of Spottswoode cab. I have been saving them for our youngest son’s wedding if and when it happens. We had 6 at our oldest son’s wedding and the crowd went crazy over them.

I have somehow accumulated 83 magnums. Lots of Champagne, which is OK.

Not many, if any, occasions to use them anymore.

LOL [berserker.gif]

27 mags in the cellar. Drinking 5 or 6 a year. Purchasing 5 or 6 a year.

Love magnums and buy many. More champagne than anything else, but plenty of food friendly whites and reds as well. We entertain a lot for groups of 8 - 12 and almost always open a magnum or two. Yes, we could open more bottles of different wines, but then the pours are small enough that it becomes effectively a tasting event, not a dinner with which we drink wine. I love getting a good sized pour to savor and follow for a time, or perhaps return to it later in the evening.

Don’t own anything bigger than a magnum. My magnums are mostly red and white Burgundy (the whites are Ente that he only bottles in magnum), Bordeaux and Barolo. I generally avoid them because I prefer to drink two bottles of different wine with friends rather than a magnum but sometimes they are good for large gatherings.

Where’s Jay Selman at? He loves magnums. I want to know how many he has!