Las Vegas Restaurants

Any real-time insights would be greatly appreciated. Here through Sat and will keep a running update while I’m on the ground.

• Bouchon (Venetian/Palazzo) on Bastille Day, no less - 1/2 dozen oysters at $7 = a hell of a lot of oysters. Food was good, but I was not blown away. Wine list was a Vegas wine list - good bottles, but easily 3x mark-up on most bottles, with 5% of the inventory (on a good day) under $100. They did have a 2009 Rostaing La Ladonne for $345, but I couldn’t rationalize spending that much, even though it’s one of my favorites.
  • Yardbird (Venetian/Palazzo) - I really like this place for an informal meal. Great cocktails, good Southern cooking (fried green tomato BLT is delicious) and casual
  • Kitchen at Atomic (Downtown) was great. They can’t cook a flap steak to save their lives, but everything else was on point - elote hush puppies, grilled chicken hearts, chimchurri wings and half chicken. Beer list was impressive, with the bottle selection ranging from Cantillon to Eclipse to Deschutes. Logsdon and pFriem on tap. Fun part was walking downtown after wards and checking out the two story, fire-breathing mantis and the Fremont street experience.
  • Holsteins (Cosmopolitan) - great beer list (and bottles), typical burger place. I went for the beer and cheese curds, came back for more on a break
  • Beauty & Essex (Cosmopolitan) - meat dishes were great, trailed off a bit after that. Was relatively cheap ($600 for 9 people) and it felt like we definitely ate our fair share, which was delivered family-style, which I think is why we kept it reasonable. Cocktails were good, but the bussers kept rushing us (at 21:15 at night) and started picking up plates before people were done. I raised my voice and told one of the guys to put my plate down that he kept trying to run off with.
  • Henry’s (Cosmopolitan) - uncertain if I had hyped it up too much in my mind, but breakfast was o.k. Short ribs were pretty dried out and the hashbrowns look like they had been sitting for a while and then oiled up to cook again with the order. Friend’s chilaquiles were awesome though. Bloody Mary wasn’t as good as I remembered. Bit of a let down.
  • Scarpetta (Cosmopolitan) - always great. Had the duck and foie raviolis (delicious) and a black calamarata pasta dish (ok). Wine list was stupidly expensive, although we grabbed a 2015 Rafanelli Zin for $125, which was $15 cheaper than Bouchon and went with the Italian theme. Always love to hit Scarpetta.
    Milk Bar (Cosmopolitan) - am not a cake fan but was happy to try her Crack Pie, after seeing it on Mind of a Chef. Good, but man it’s sweet.
    Public House (Venetian) - potato twisters = bowl of freshly made potato chips, cheese whiz, duck confit and gravy, washed down with several IPAs. Drink lots of water, but great/fat-filled dish!
    Sparrow + Wolf (Chinatown) - probably the highlight of the trip, ahead of Kitchen at Atomic. Bone marrow and beef cheek dumplings were fantastic, as was the hamachi carpaccio. Duck and foie combo was good, as were the several veggie items (barbecued salsify, maitake mushrooms, etc). Wine list could use some help, but for a strip mall store next a Macy’s furniture depot, I’m a fan.

How was Robuchon, George?

I’ve reservations for L’Atelier next weekend, any feedback from anyone would be appreciated, perhaps especially about the winelist–the food, if properly prepared by folks not named Joel, seems compelling.

I couldn’t wrap my head around spending so much to sit on a bar stool so I changed and splurged more at Joel Robuchon main place and loved it! You don’t need to go the tasting menu route. Had a pricey wine by the glass.

We ate at L’Atelier back in 2015. Fight night so the place was crazy. Still the food was great and the service was on it’s A game. Only meal better I have had in Vegas was at Alex. Yeah we sat at the bar and talked to the couple next to us. Would have bothered us if it was supposed to be a special meal but if you just want great food without the pretense this is the place.

Thanks Barry and Brian,

Very helpful! I haven’t been to Vegas in years–only the “old Vegas”–so I am still curious what the wine selection was like.

I don’t recall the wine list. We drank a red burgundy but heaven help me I don’t remember the details or cost.

Heading to Vegas this weekend for my wife’s Birthday. We have a large group of 18 coming so hopefully it won’t be too crazy. So far our plans are:
Friday Night- Beauty & Essex
Saturday Night- Carson Kitchen (downtown)
Sunday Night- Lotus of Siam

Thanks, Brian,

I’ll probably end up with Burgundy (maybe white and red) as well.

It’s been a couple of years, but the wine list at Robuchon at the Mansion was deep but also very expensive. I have been to Vegas l’Atelier and don’t know if it’s the same list. I was at Guy Savoy a few months back and despite being one Robuchon’s primary competitors in town found the wine list really well priced with a good number of bottles under or ~retail.

Hi;

Have a work dinner while at a convention at Caesar’s. My boss told me to pick someplace really nice, but I know that didn’t mean Guy Savoy.

So any recommendations between Mesa Grill, Rao’s, or Il Mulino?

Has anyone been to Spago now that they are in the Bellagio? I loved the place when Eric Klein was the chef.

Any other recommendations that are at or adjacent/cross the street from Caesers?

Is Picasso off the table as an option? It’s doesn’t have the buzz it once did but I haven’t had a bad meal there yet. Note I haven’t been there the past two years so if it’s turned downhill since then I am unaware.

I thought Picasso would’ve a couple steps up in price. This is a work dinner ( and we are not for profit)

Figured as much but it is less than Guy Savoy. I can’t help with that part of the strip then.

I have not been there for dinner, but really like Michael Mina’s bistro in Aria.

Been a couple of years, but Picasso was really good the last couple of times. I would consider it if it is convenient and in your price range. And as to the previous post, Mina’s Brasserie Bardot is very good, too.

JD

Yes, I love Michael Mina’s, more than his place in SF (although it’s been a while). Too pricey for this occassion.

FWIW - friends on Facebook are raving about Herbs and Rye. Cocktails off the chain.

was going to take son to Guy Savoy later this month but since no corkage, switched to Robuchon.

Do you still need a jacket and tie at Robuchon? I’m going next month but don’t want to pack for that.

Depends on who you are. Last time we were there we were told jackets were required but there was a table wearing jeans and t-shirts. That and a service issue has kept us from returning. To bad, the food was very well done. Prefer Guy Savoy or Twist.

JD