Lazy decanting method.

Naturally the next step is to volunteer to bring the wine and the glasses.

Naturally the next step is to volunteer to host the next event. And all events further…

I thought that too until a chemist pointed out that it’s physically not possible to get a big impact (for younger wines). We did a test tasting with 6 wines, always one bottle opened 24 hours before consumption and the other pop and pour. There was a slight difference, yes. Afterwards we decanted all 6 wines with pop and pour and for all 6 wines that difference was gone between the 8 minutes and 32 minutes in the decanter mark. So, 24 hours of slow-ox with the cork pulled replaces just a few short minutes in the decanter (for a young wine). It is of course another story if you double decant the wines a day before consumption.

if you only have one decanter do this one bottle at a time: open, pour wine into decanter, pour it right back into the bottle, leave the cork off until you leave the house. then move onto the next bottle. this is called a “double decant.” what you are describing (just taking out the cork) we typically call “slow ox” and if it DOES do anything, it takes a long ass time (and typically works better if you pour enough wine into a glass or something so that its out of the neck and into the shoulder of the bottle for more air exposure)

…and the premise of that method is that it protects against oxidation while allowing positive changes to occur. There are long threads debating if it’s real and wondering how it could work. The person who advocates it claims it works with ancient bottles that would otherwise show dead and/or fall apart rapidly, and (often enough) resolves them into something beautiful and more stable. Others note/claim it can allow some unpleasant bottle funk on fairly mature wines to blow off.

That is what I was thinking. I would think if you are bringing a wine that needs decanting, you probably are bringing the wrong wine. How about bringing a Ridge Zin or something like that. Good enough for you; easy enough to drink for a group.

No one has suggested using a blender?