LEMON CHICKEN by Marcella Hazan

Sumac, coriander seed, and fennel seed are three of my most-frequently-used “secret weapons” when cooking. Sumac is great sprinkled on salad, too, as well as pretty much anything to which you want to bring a nice earthy/lemony flavor. Awesome on white fish, and … and … … perhaps I need to start a Sumac thread. LOL!

Sounded really good so I tried it today. I seasoned the cavity liberally added my lemon and put it in my smoker. Most of the wood had already burned off as I already had a 9# pork butt in there. Let it go at 225F for around 4.5 hours. Finished off in reg oven at 375F for another hour for crunchy skin.
Digging in now!
F6E77204-FB32-47CE-8B4B-F67E88952668.jpeg

3 Likes

Looks delicious!

Love the product placement!

2 Likes

Thanks for the recipe Martin, made it using a large kosher Cornish gam hen and it was delicious. Normally my wife does the cooking indoors and I’m in charge outdoors, so she was hovering over me when I prepped and cooked it suggesting I add some things (spices & garlic) but I stayed true to the recipe. She makes a version of Marella’s bolognese which she significantly modifies, but the chicken (hen) was so good she said next time she’s just going to stick to the recipe. As for me, the next time I cook this I’m doing outside on the rotisserie with a light smoke.

1 Like

Good to hear that you both enjoyed it, Mike.

A classic is a classic, there is a reason for it. BTW, here another classic by Marcella, her winter tomato sauce. So simple, so good.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/content/?p=5222

Take care,
Martin

I did one this past week w the 40 toothpick pokes in the lemon. I think cutting the lemon in half works better. More juice comes out and gets into the bird.

Alan, that’s a fair point.

I prefer to poke holes because, when the bird is done, I carefully squeeze the lemon(s) (gotta be careful about where it may squirt!) into the pan drippings and mix-up a quick little gravy boat of heaven. Pair that with a Chardonnay (or Viura … or Chenin … or…) and you’re good to go!