Let`s talk Scheurebe!

I bought my first bottle of Scheurebe in a long time recently and looking forward to trying it. 2019 Muller Catoir Trocken.

I’m always on the look out for Keller’s but I think all the folks with longer, deeper Keller connections in the US snap them up.

Suzanne Camhi brought a delicious 2010 Keller Scheurebe Spatlese to Riesling Study #1 in February, and I loved it. Not a shy wine and plenty of tropical fruit aromas.

I’ve had the 1983 Dr. Bürklin-Wolf Forster Mariengarten Scheurebe Eiswein twice in the past 18 months. Holy hell was it delicious. I confess that I originally picked it up because it was Eiswein and I thought it was a Riesling (oops).

Still have a bottle left of the Schloss Eltz 1971 Eltviller Sonnenberg Schuerebe Beerenauslese. The last one I opened a few years ago was fabulous.

^
Scheu in the Rheingau was rather rare, at that juncture, would imagine…

but of course a fabulous vintage allround

i love the way that old Schloss Eltz bottlings keep turning up
had a ’75er Rauenthaler Baiken Riesling Spätlese less than a decade back
at a swish joint in Vienna
nothing less than specktack

So I just looked up what’s in my cellar and the following popped up:

1967 August E. Anheuser Kreuznacher Narrenkappe Scheurebe Trockenbeerenauslese Nahe
1970 August E. Anheuser Kreuznacher Narrenkappe Graben Scheurebe Trockenbeerenauslese Nahe more
2008 Weingut Keller Westhofener Morstein Scheurebe Auslese Rheinhessen
2019 Weingut Keller Scheurebe Kabinett Rheinhessen

Any idea when to drink or (especially the Anheuser’s) if still drinkable?

Thanks

For the 2008 I’d wait another 5-10 years and open on a special occasion (I have a few 2002 left, that are ready).

the 2019 I’d taste and decide whether to buy more, if you have the funds.

the TBAs will surely be drinkable.
I would open them with good friends and when you feel like it.
If they perform as you expect, everyone will be happy; If they don’t, you won’t be sad for long since your friends will cheer you up.
good friends are more important than good wines…

sorry for being a pain-in-the-shoes

but somewhat comical to read 1967 & 1970 Nahe above,

since the Nahe was not – and perhaps somebody knows better; if so, thanks –
created as a Weinanbaugebiet until 1971

perhaps the only good to come of the infamous Wine Law…

James,

afaik the wine was labelled just 10-15 years ago when I bought it ex-domain (if I may call it so)…or directly from their cellars.

This might explain the confusion, but thanks for that info, I did not know.

Cheers

Andy

all in good fun, Andy

and 1967 late-harvest Rhein wines were typically magnif –
i envy you the experience
70 TBA likewise

btw »Narrenkappe« is a court jester’s hat

“never got tired of needling them,
that the best dry Scheu in all of D, year after year,
was the Iphöfer Kronsberg Scheurebe Spätlese Trocken from Dr Wirsching”
James plus one on that. Also got good scheu from Knoll and Staatlicher Hofkeller in Wuerzburg.
K

Just spoke to a knowledgeable sales guy at my wine shop. His take on Scheurebe (discussing Muller Catoir and in general) is its best young and loses its luster or what makes it special as it ages. Any thoughts?

it loses the cat pee as it ages