Let's talk about Sherry

Very good to know. I suspected that might be the case but I never put away any of the EN finos to age. I know their Manzanillas are fine with bottle age but was reluctant to generalize from that.

Been starting to get into Sherry… I love Amontillado and Oloroso. Just the perfect balance between wine and a brown liquor in my opinion. Would love to splurge on a nicer bottle. Absolutely bummer that I missed that dinner. I would have loved it.

I am totally on board with this observation! I really like the taste of a lot of Cognac, Armagnac, Scotch/Irish/Bourbon…but don’t much care for the high-alcohol burn. The oxidatively aged Sherries, especially older ones, have that great depth of mature flavors but less than half the alcohol.

I LOVE Sherry!
For most, it IS an acquired taste.
BUT once you luckily acquire that taste…ENJOY!

I’ve got the sherry bug, and have been trying to get more bottles into the weekly rotation with dinner and such. I’m happy to hear that the bottles keep, as I have an opportunity to get a bunch of 2014 El Maestro Sierra Amontillado for a great price.

Didn’t notice this thread when it was first posted. Nice lineup!

I really like Sherry/Manzanilla, but don’t drink it often enough. My mom was in Spain in 2017 and brought me a bottle of the Bardillo Manzanilla Pasada Saca de Primavera 2017 (the third wine in your lineup – my label stated it was a Pasada; I assume yours was also a Pasada, even if not noted on the front label). I loved it. My note: “A beautifully airy, light and fresh Manzanilla, with great depth and focus. Delicious!”

I did an all Sherry tasting for one of my wine groups a couple of years ago. The guys are still talking about it as it was a departure from the norm. I found the people at Despana in SOHO to be a great resource in both knowledge and selection.

Heh heh, like most things Sherry I previously missed this thread.

Thanks for the 2000 Valdespino Jay! It was stellar and by far the WOTN.