Let's talk Chambolle

I really like the wines from Ghislaine Barthod. You can take your pick. To me the epitome of Chambolle is Mugnier. I like it better than Roumier or Vogue or any of the others. The best value many times comes from Drouhin. These wines are so elegant and delicious. I also adore Bruno Clavelier’s Combe de Orveaux which is very close in location to an area of Musigny. More structured at times but still shows the elegance I love. Many others will foot the bill as you can see above.

3 Likes

Lignier makes a Chambolle VV village as well, though it’s certainly not as well known (and the vines not as old) as his Morey VV 1er.

I had a “huh” moment when Lignier VV was mentioned. Never knew they made a Chambolle version.

Love the MSD VV, but then I am more a Morey and NSG fan than a Chambolle fan.

Anyone have the arnoux Chambolle lately?

Chambolle AC is my favorite village wine. Some of my favorites are Hudelot and Jouan.

Like many on this thread I’m extremely fond of Chambolle. The Roumier village CM knocks my socks off and I am just beginning to sample my small collection of Mugnier Fuees. Agree that the Drouhin CM 1er is a lovely wine for a fair price and Barthod can be stern young but worth the wait.

Cheers,
Doug

18 Arnoux Lachaux is very tasty.

Not mentioned is the Domaine Dujac CM. I had the 02 the other night and it was gorgeous.

I should add that Lignier makes a lot of cuvees, and the Chambolle VV is, if I recall correctly, both a very small production and not generally brought into the US. I think we generally see the Bussieres lieu dit (which is also nice).

Yeah, I think the 18 Arnoux-Lachaux Chambolle is a charming early drinking wine; certainly by the standards of 2018.

I agree with Michael that Hudelot-Noellat’s village chambolle has become very lovely. I have had both the 2015 and the 2012 in the past few months and both were excellent for their pedigree and age. Also on the village front and quite tasty (and cheaper than Roumier’s!) is Bruno Clair’s Les Veroilles.

1 Like

I really like Hubert Lignier Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Baudes

I think Felettig Chambolle-Musigny 1er cru Feusselottes are lovely as well

1 Like

Yeah, made in a slightly darker style, but very good for sure. I thought the 16 Chambolles at Lignier were particularly great.

1 Like

Thank you, Greg, I stand corrected.

Two words: Patrice Rion.

2 Likes

17 is one of my favorite wines; gone through a case so far.

champagne.gif

I want to age them but they’re so delicious and expressive already…

Just looked at my purchases: While I have about the same number of Vosne 1er cru and Chambolle 1er cru, I have far more Chambolle village than Vosne village.
It appears I buy Chambolle villages from more producers: Barthod, Roumier, Grivot, (a very few Mugnier for lack of availability…) to name a few… than Vosne village Mugneret Gibourg, Grivot, …
(+ a few Hudelot Noellat from 3 villages, my favorite being NSG, then Vosne than Chambolle a few years ago)

Drouhin makes some of my favorites. From the village wine up to Musigny they are exactly what I think Chambolle should taste like and while they used to be fantastic value they are still a very good value compared to the likes of Roumier or Mugnier.

Caveat that I haven’t bought any Chambolle since the 2010 vintage.

1 Like

What do people think about Bertheau? Do they age well? I had a 2016 village from them that was actually pretty amazing, it had a level of transparency and elegance that I thought was extremely unusual and fit the Chambolle stereotype better than any wine I’d ever had (bearing in mind I haven’t tried super-expensive ones like Mugnier, etc.). Made me wonder why they aren’t more prominent/fashionable as a producer. Had me curious about their higher end wines too. But then I picked up a 1998 Bertheau C-M village that was completely shot and past it’s prime, and saw some negative CT notes on their older wines as well.

1 Like

Chambolle is the most represented Burg village in my cellar (about a quarter). I would add Bonnes Mares to the discussion here. Musigny is not the only Grand Cru appellation in the village! Bonnes Mares tends to be a bit more structured but there are many beautiful ones made. Generally lower priced than Musigny (but not cheap for sure).

Otherwise, I look for many of the same names folks here love (Bertheau, Barthod, Drouhin, H. Lignier, H-N, Arnoux, Patrice Rion). As you go up the price hierarchy the wines are excellent … Fourrier, Dujac, Mugneret-Gibourg, de Vogue, Mugnier, Roumier are bank breakers but all have strengths.

While Chambolle wines age well (depending on producer and vintage of course) but they are oh so good young. Don’t be afraid to try all the village level wines from recent vintages that you can find. Very helpful to zero in on your own preferences.

2 Likes