Lobster source?

Have had pretty good luck with these guys. https://www.supremelobster.com

Costco lobster that I have had 2 or 3 times sucks.

George

Sounds like Supreme it is, not too far a haul. Right on North Ave right? Thanks!

And I don’t hate lobster I guess but doesn’t do much for me…and I know this isn’t everyone’s favorite, but prefer stone crab claws, procured some today right off the boat and promptly into my pot of boiling water. Pot to pot so to speak. But that’s here in SC, I’m supposing no crabbers on Lake Michigan at the moment :wink:

The lobsters will be as fresh as the stone crab claws (but you have to have the latter overnighted)

As a kid we vacationed on Cape Cod every summer. I visited my grandparents on Long Island every summer and they would take me to Lundy’s. So based on this, it is mho that Costco lobster sucks DD. The first D stands for “donkey”.

Sad. Lobsters are my favorite vegetable.

During Stew Leonard’s $5:99 summer sale, my wife went a little nuts, buying 18 for 6 people. We gorged ourselves, with some Dom Perignon and Deutz cuvée William Deutz and it was one of the most satisfying meals ever.

I thank Josh Grossman for the Mr. Vernon OH tip. Mt. Vernon in Knox County is about 45 minutes from me. The proprietor evidently was a lobster trapper for 20 years and then moved back to Ohio. He flies them in the day before Christmas and New Years and sells them for an extremely reasonable $10/lb. I called and Brett personally answered the phone and took my order. I will report back after NYE.
So sitting here a day after my first post, I want to expand just a bit.
A good lobster vs. a crappy lobster is like a good oyster vs. a bad oyster (and I mean “bad” in other than the bacteria ridden rotten variety of “bad”).
Just as a great oyster tastes briny and of the sea, so does a good lobster. Grocery store lobster tastes washed-out and almost flavorless. The texture, even when perfectly cooked, is off.
I wouldn’t even use Costco lobster to make lobster rolls. I confess: I tried once. A waste of money, time, and effort.
After riding Cycle Oregon in September, my friend and I found ourselves at Olympia Oyster Bar in Portland the very next day. It was a complete spur of the moment decision.
We sat at the oyster bar, we had the place to ourselves despite the small space, and sat in front of bushel after bushel of eight different types of local oysters lying in the concrete tub at the bar on ice, still in their burlap bags with tags showing that they had been harvested within a day or two. We could not stop eating. To echo Mark’s comment above, it might have been one of my most satisfying meals ever.

Legal Seafoods in Boston. Make sure you order some clam chowdah to start with…they will air it out to you.

Ok, so went to Supreme and keeping it simple just went for the frozen cold water tails, packed the day before. I forget origin. Was not cheap, but dang tasty. It was surf and turf and the turf was Flannery hanger. Thanks for the recommendation and sorry for earlier grumpy responses… :slight_smile:

Best lobster source—really the best seafood source in general—I’ve ever had was New Deal Fish Market in Cambridge, MA. Hyper fresh local seafood and knowledgeable, friendly staff. One of the things I miss most about living in Boston.

For the past several years up until this year, China was buying the primo spiny lobsters from California and Mexico. Big ones (6, 7+ lbs) used for centerpieces sold for an extra premium. Fisherman were getting anywhere from $18 to over $20 lb. Tariffs have brought CA wholesale prices down and I think Mexico is probably doing really well, still, and they used to be a good indicator of CA spiny lobster prices since their season opens a few weeks earlier. The good news is that we can enjoy some local lobster at a reasonable price for the first time in about a decade. It wasn’t too long ago, it wouldn’t be uncommon to see a half of a 1.5lb spiny lobster for $40 on a restaurant menu.