London Recos

Sorry Trishna didn’t do it for you. I’ve always had very good meals there. Since Gymkhana is still closed, we’ll be going to Trishna again later this month and I will see if maybe it’s gone downhill.

We really enjoyed the Taj St. James’ for a hotel. Great location, great staff.

JD

Bumping this to see if there are any additional thoughts/comments as we are leaving on Saturday.

Thanks to all who have weighed in so far.

Where did you decide to stay? Have fun!

We went to Brat for the first time when we were in London in October, and liked it so much we went back again a few days later. The food is excellent, the wine list is quite good, and they are BYO friendly if you prefer. Staff is warm and friendly and competent. The whole turbot competes for best I’ve ever had. I highly recommend it for a casual and highly enjoyable lunch. I’m sure dinner is great, too, but I have only been for lunch. They take walk-ins at the counter as well as reservations.

1 Like

This will help with our return trip in the spring. Thanks.

Used to live there for a decade. Things change fast, but a couple of unmissables:

RESTAURANTS
St Johns - the OG nose-to-tail restaurant run by Fergus.
Wolseley - just world class brunch luxury or afternoon tea
Ronnie Scott’s - if you like jazz
French House - great little pub in Soho where a lot of writers and poets go, only serve half-pints as it’s their tradition.
Bar Italia - the original Italian coffee place in Soho - an institution and the best place to people watch.
J. Sheekey - luxury fish restaurant in Covent Garden. Great food, been there for ages.
The Ivy - classic London luxury fine dining.
Rules - Oldest restaurant/steakhouse in town. Absolute luxury classic.
River Cafe - Google it, amazing stuff.
Tayyabs - I think the best Indian in London. And that’s up against some pretty stiff competition. In historic Whitechapel.

HOTELS
I like to stay at one of the Firmdale hotels:
Charlotte Street Hotel
Covent Garden Hotel
Ham Yard Hotel

They’re all excellent.

If I’m paying myself, I love to stay at Hazlitt’s. I love those quirky little 1700’s chambers and creaky stairs and it still feels luxury. But they don’t have a restaurant there and only an honor bar, so you can’t really get meals sent up. But since it’s right in Soho, you’re so close to other stuff anyway. Lovely little hotel.

We just got back from a few days in Lindon. Our meal at Kutir was excellent.

I lived in Essex Court, which is a stones throw from the Stafford Hotel. I agree with your assessment. I was just there back in March. Love that place.

1 Like

Any recommendation for wine stores that have good price and selection for champagne and red burg? Thank you.

berry bros? wouldnt say good prices but good selection.

noble rot is a must for dinner and wine in lambs conduit…surprised it hasnt been mentioned.

lastly, the bloomsbury hotel is our regular hotel for central london. great location, very comfortable place to stay and not too terribly priced.

Just returned from a few nights in London.

Noble Rot was a nice meal, enjoyed the atmosphere and wine selections.

Bright was delicious! Wine list leans natural.

Barrafina was as good as always with a nice Spanish wine selection BTG.

Barrafina is great. The Soho branch is down the street from our London hotel and I eat there at least once a visit.

Good News: Gymkhana is reopening on Feb 18.

Great news, thanks for the update!

I need to go to Soif, they had Miroirs on their list as of Dec 19, wonder if it’s still there

We are seeing Hamilton in the West End next month. I’m looking for restaurant suggestions. We’ll be with our two teenagers, who are moderately adventurous.