London Wine Club / Survey

It’s a little funny, eh. First he complains that we want to ‘educate [him] on storage’, and then he asks something like "Also do you need to file a form every time wine arrives? " - which if anyone had any experience of using UK bonded storage, the first thing you’d know is that - No, you dont have to file a form. It’s entirely paperwork free (for me as a customer). And for many merchants, logistics is free as well - I’d have to do an exhaustive check but off hand I can name a few merchants who do free delivery above certain price points, which are not unreasonable at all for a person who drinks nice wine (e.g. £100 minimum spend on BBR for free delivery IIRC).

I’d stress one last time the in bond nature - it’s a completely different game to what you get in the States, for example. I dont know about France or Switzerland, but if I go on the first hit on Google for Switzerland wine Storage - Wine vault - ARVI SA –The Swiss vault of fine and rare Wines - Online Shop - and put in 12 bottles worth 1000 CHF, that’s 8 CHF a month storage cost, and the price you pay is dependent on the wine you store. That’s (a) much more expensive and (b) value-dependent, unlike UK bonded storage.

As a side note OP, if you’re storing 5000 bottles of wine at the prices indicated above, you’d easily save maybe £6000 a year if you move them to a UK bonded warehouse. Might wanna look into it, just fyi!

Thank you Henry, all fo this makes sense. Seems like storage might end up being a by product for those who already have off sitre storage, but might be appealing as an entry point to newer wine enthusiasts.

Regarding the club thing, obviously many Londoners go to the same place often, otherwise nobody would join any club when it is a very popular thing to do here, as far as I know.

Plenty of excellent ideas here, thank you again for taking the time.

Best,

Jon

I don’t know how old you are or where you live Tom, but for many people, myself included, having dinner at Lyle’s or Brawn is a lot more exciting that having dinner anywhere in Mayfair, otherwise I would have already joined 67 PM. Obviously if it’s an hour in an uber for you, and you are my dad’s age, then it won’t be appealing at all. But there are enough people living in my neck of the woods with a little disposable income and an interest in wine, who might be able to afford my proposal.

You started saying that nobody goes to the same restaurant twice in a year, you obviously know that might be true for you but is not valid for many, especially those who pay £1,500 / year to join 67 PM… I sure hope they go at least once a month…

Anyway, enough feedback now, please go tell other members how “ridiculous” what they talk about is.

Jon

Don’t worry about me, all my wine is being moved here before the end of the year, and will be stored at my venue when it opens early next year.

In the meantime, go have a drink with Tom and discuss how stupid me and my ideas are.

Jon

No problem at all. With a big push on cool events, interesting/unique tastings, and (to be honest) ideally some form of rebate on the membership fee - e.g. £60 voucher for wine purchasing, event ticket cost, or the restaurant meal - then it gets potentially quite interesting.