Looking for a new decanter

As there are different reasons for decanting, I use a narrow vessel when gently decanting aged red wines for sediment, and I use a wider-diameter decanter for aeration. My decanters are also lead-free.

I have an Amadeo, afraid to use it. I use the Reidels from target, light glas than will not change the temperature of the wine much.

I have a few but my favorite is a water pitcher with a handle. It has a good surface area, is easy to clean, and easy to pour.

In the end, I don’t think it matters too much either. That said, I got a Spiegelau Hybrid decanter on clearance for <$25 a couple years back, and it’s my go-to:

Easy to pour, relatively easy to clean, a little more elegant than some other options for when that’s desirable. I also have a 1L Erlenmeyer flask which I like, but I just haven’t used it in a while…it’s currently full of corks and serving a decorative purpose. There’s a big flat-bottomed one hanging out in the back of the pantry, but I don’t use it much because it’s kind of a pain to pour.

I probably have 20 or so decanters, but by far I use two the most.

One is a Claret Jug made of cut crystal glass that was the trophy for winning the 1907 Brae Burn Country Club Scratch Tournament (won by A.A. Highlands) and the other is a decanter I made at a glass blowing place in Manchester Village, Vt. Both are functional and great conversation pieces.

At first, I bought a kind of decanter in IKEA STORSINT Carafe, clear glass, 57 oz (1.7 l) - IKEA CA. But after some time I stopped like it. Fortunately, we broke it and there was a reason to buy a new one.
Now, by Christmas, I want to buy 2 or 3 A beautifully-designed model decanter. I liked this list of decanters 6 Best Wine Decanters (Winter 2023) ⁠— Reviews & Buying Guide and what to choose from it. I hope that delivery from Amazon will take a little time and I will manage to surprise guests with beautiful decanters.
Maybe you also can help me with the choice :slight_smile:

For tastings I use basic Riedel. I can use a marker to identify the wines in large flights.

For dinner parties, I have a dozen antique decanters, one or two from the eighteenth century. I like the thought of the ancient wines that were served from them before I bought them.

But my favorite is Egbert, the decanter shaped like a walrus, and if I know one wine is likely to be special, I serve it in Egbert.
4C57B963-1C3C-45AF-8A8E-3505CF1F3713.jpeg
E6E0FA61-77EA-4A0F-BF9B-0AAB3C8EE0DA.jpeg
CB24F48E-CAA7-45A5-B456-377A9ECCCEC1.jpeg

I bought 12 of these at K Mart for a Berserkerfest and they are just fine:

https://www.kmart.com/anchor-hocking-1-liter-carafe-clear/p-011W003819914002P?plpSellerId=Kmart&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

They have all the key characteristics. Cheap, they work, they are cheap, they are easy to handle, they are cheap, no one cares if it breaks, a rubber band around the neck lets you pin the cork to the decanter for identification, you can write on them with a marker for numbering if you want and not worry about it, they go in the dishwasher, and did I mention that they are really cheap. I have a hand cut Waterford crystal decanter that I got at the factory in Ireland for dinner parties and one or two other fancy ones for large dinner parties. They look really nice, but ease of use goes to the K Mart water carafes by a mile.