Looking for an olive oil recommendation

Love Veleta but this Kermit Lynch Provence oil via Martin Steinley is hands down favorite.
4658231D-8AA0-4DA6-A117-61B66DC0CE99.jpeg

I was disappointed that I never got any 2020 Tuscany this year. I do like the California oil. I like the Greek too but my wife prefers California.

Ok good to know - thatā€™s exactly what happened, I was on the 12/9 offer and didnā€™t receive the sold-out email. That stuff goes quickly; they sent a later offer last spring with Franci Grand Cru that I waited a couple of days on, to my disappointment. Thanks David.

A must buy.

Italian, or imported from Italy? cheesehead

This olive oil from Villa Jerada is one of the most interesting I have ever tried, QPR for days on this one.

RARE WINE OLIVE OIL ORDERS OPEN !

Order is in!

I am in 4 a case & change !

I requested the ā€œMother Lodeā€

We use a lot of :olive: oil.

2020 is truly incredible!

Been using the 1st offer for a few months now.

This is the first time Iā€™ve ordered oil from RWC. Just three bottles. (We donā€™t use much, and I can get Ravida locally in NYC, which is my go-to, for a good price.)

Excited to try them.

The oils are always good.
The 2020ā€™s are spectacular!
Game changer in quality.

Wow there are a lot of different oils to choose from being offered by RWC. Anyone have any recommendations?

My in-laws live near the Queen Creek Olive Mill in Queen Creek, AZ. I really enjoy visiting when Iā€™m in town. They make some good oil and many flavored oils. I like them as a novelty. You can layer them like garlic and basil on tomatoes, etc. Itā€™s a fun place to visit if you find yourself in the eastern part of the Phoenix area.

The best value we have found is also from Lebanon. We prefer something fruity. Some of the Tuscan oils are a bit more peppery and herbal than we prefer. Olive Harvest is what we usually buy. https://www.oliveharvest.com/olive-oil/ Just like Edward says, itā€™s as good as some much more expensive oils, and we actually like it better than most. The occasional splurge on something like Paolo Bea is nice too. No idea about Oleocanthal.

I got a Rufina six pack, some extra Selvapiana, and the one bottle limit of Franci grand cru. Just ordered 3 more of the Franci from a different source. Their signature producer has been Grati (Prunatelli, Vetrice, Monte)ā€¦they donā€™t quite reach the highest highs of a few things but are reasonable and very good, similar to other oils in the Rufina pack. Wish I could buy more Colognole and a few others that used to be available individually, but the offer has become so popular that you only get a selection now.

Edit in response to Doug: Peppery and herbal along with bright greeen intensity, fruitiness, and texture are what I look for. What I donā€™t like personally is an intense grassiness that some oils can have. Not unlike wine preferences!

If I had to pick 1 it would be the Franci Grand Cru.
I havenā€™t had the 2020 yet. Rare Wine offered the 2019 and it was amazing.

Olive Oil Storage & Handling
As a natural product, and unlike wine, olive oil does not improve with time, so it is best used within a year. Nevertheless, depending on the variety, a freshly harvested olive oil could last up to 18 months without losing its sensory characteristics. Store olive oil in an air-tight bottle or container away from light and heat to maintain freshness.

Storage Containers
Olive oil can be kept longer than most other edible oils. Although it can get rancid, olive oil is less likely to become rancid than other oils, especially if it is stored properly. The best containers for storage are glass (especially tinted glass), ceramic, porcelain, or non-reactive metals such as stainless steel.

Olive oil will oxidize rapidly if it is not kept in a sealed container. If olive oil is stored in a bottle, always replace the cap on the bottle and keep it tightly sealed. Never put olive oil in a container that does not have a tight cap or some other method of sealing the container.

Do not store olive oil in containers made of reactive metals such as copper or iron. The chemical reaction between the olive oil and the metal will damage the oil and may produce toxins. Olive oil should not be stored in plastic containers because the oil may absorb PVCā€™s from the plastic.

Temperature for Storage
The ideal temperature for storing olive oil is 57Ā°F, although a normal room temperature of 70ĀŗF works very well if the olive oil is stored in a dark area where the temperature remains fairly constant. Olive oil will solidify at 36ĀŗF, but it will return to a liquid state as soon as the temperature rises. In colder weather, olive oil may turn cloudy, especially if the temperature of the storage area falls below 50ĀŗF.

Locations for Storage
It is important to store olive oil in a cool, dark place. A wine cellar is an ideal place for storing olive oil because it is dark and the temperature is cool and constant. Since most of us do not own wine cellars, a kitchen cabinet located away from the stove and away from direct sunlight will work quite well.

Refrigeration will extend the life of olive oil without harming the oil. The oil will become cloudy and solidify in the refrigerator, but this will not significantly affect the quality or flavor. When the oil is warmed to room temperature it will return to a liquid state and its color will be restored. Refrigeration does not harm most grades of olive oil, but it is not recommended for expensive extra virgin varieties because condensation may develop in the bottle, affecting the flavor.

Shelf Life
Olive should keep a minimum of 15 months if it is properly stored. If it is stored in its original container and remains unopened, it should last for 2 years or more.

Olive oil has the best flavor when it is used within a year after it is pressed and it is at its peak within 2 or 3 months after pressing. Unlike many types of wine, olive oil does not improve with age. As olive oil ages, it continually degrades and the acidity level rises. As a result, an older bottle of olive oil may have an unpleasant odor and taste. The oil will be neither harmful if consumed, nor very pleasing.

Lower grades of olive oil usually have a shorter shelf life than top quality extra virgin oil because the acidity level is already higher at the time of bottling. A grade of olive such as semi-fine virgin, which has a much higher oleic acid content than extra virgin, may become less desirable after only a few months because the acidity level may rise to an unacceptable level.

Safety Tips
Olive oil is safe to use even if it has oxidized. The flavor and aroma may not be very pleasant, but it is not harmful if consumed.

Some flavored olive oils have additives that may require refrigeration in order to preserve them. Others may not require refrigeration because of the process used when manufacturing the oil, so it is best to read the label carefully. It is usually not safe to make your own flavored olive oils at home and keep them for any length of time. Some flavoring agents may promote the growth of bacteria and can only be safely added with commercial processes. You may, however, prepare homemade flavored olive oils if they are used immediately and any leftover oil is disposed of.

A major safety concern is when olive oil (and any other cooking oil) is heated to a very high temperature for deep-frying. Follow the recommendations listed under deep-frying safety tips for more on this [missing content]
\ [drinkers.gif] [thumbs-up.gif]

1 Like

I have no experience with Lebanese oils, but some Turkish oils are great values, also in a lighter, fruitier style. For those of you in the NYC/NJ area, the Istanbul Market on Main Street, on the border of Clifton and Paterson, just south of US46, has these. (Of course, a lot of ā€œPacked in Italyā€ oil includes Turkish oil, along with Greek, Spanish and other cheaper sources.)

The one on the left is $6 for 1L, the one in the middle is $6 for 750ml and the one on the right is $12 a liter. Iā€™ve tasted them side-by-side with much more expensive Italian oils Iā€™ve found in the supermarket (admittedly, not a benchmark), and they are far better. They are also very good in an absolute sense ā€“ flavorful in a lighter style. The $6/1L one is ideal for sauteeing and frying. (They also sell these in 3L cans for $20 or so.)

1 Like