Looking to buy a wine store - what is the best way to come up with valuation

Yep.

He talked to some brokers who said they could get that price, do it by “bidded up” potential buyers.

I’m pretty sure this is the kind of broker who requires an up-front fee . . .

Moving on from that option, I am.

Would rather just compete against him.

Karl,

If you have a vision, an idea or even an inkling of business model that would do better than the existing store, by all means compete. After 30 years of operation, I would imagine the owners are my age or older and not promoting any changes in their business model, just business as usual.

The old saying, build it an they will come, works very well if you are innovative, different and active. The old saying, location, location, location, is somewhat true, BUT, in retail, the best locations are high rent. A “good” or “reasonable” location can work to your benefit too. Low overhead, lower prices.

A short version, we moved from 1100 sf in a bustling shopping center to an old 3600 sf carpet warehouse for the same rent, 3 times the parking and access for limos and buses. Yes, the build out wasn’t cheap, but Carrie drove business to us on social media and interaction with limo companies, hotels, motels, B&B. Just pictures she has posted on social media has brought new business.

Thanks for insight!