Lopez de Heredia Blanco Gran Reserva Search

I suspect it will change dramatically with air, as the other whites tend to do. I’ve noticed the gravonias in particular to go from nutty, to citrus, to butterscotch with changes occurring every 15-20 minutes.

If it were me, I would not decant, but rather pour a small glass every so often and follow it as it unfurls. Of course, the number of drinkers may dictate otherwise, but even then I would park some in a separate glass and check in periodically. Zalto universal or Bordeaux is the glass I’d reach for. And I’d serve at cellar temp, allowing for additional evolution as the wine warms a bit.

Just seeing this thread. Interestingly, last week, bought the last 2001 Gran Riserva Blanco from a local merchant that got them winery-direct about a year ago. $160.00, which made me wince, but maybe I should do a little happy dance that it wasn’t raised to $500.00?

1 Like

Nice find! I’m still searching long and hard for a couple more bottles. Keeping my fingers crossed that I can score some more!

1 Like

Great note on the evolution of these wines. All of their blancos show so many unique characteristics and I’ve heard of many people following along with small pours over the course of 5+ days with constant evolution

A lot has changed in the past 3 years. deadhorse

The wine is insane.

1 Like

care to elaborate? How did you end up serving it and what worked/didn’t?

Please do tell, got a couple of these and also drank the 2004 regular reserva last week (which was pretty good).

my DMs are open, חָבֵר!

This wine and Gravonia is often better the next day. And the next. And the nex…
I believe the price increase has something to do with demand…newhere

The question was what’s driving the demand increase. Still not answered!

I think the President and the Federal Reserve would love to know as well, but alas, economics is a puny science!

I don’t think either of them care about the demand curve for Tondonia blanco.

Demand for the whites has continually increased in the last several years since the last GR release - the regular crianza/reserva whites sell out faster and faster every year, while quantities remain very low. I don’t think there’s much more to it.

likely overthinking this. great and rare, sold at good retail for $170 or so if you got it. a total of 9 bottles available on wine-searcher.

if this is indeed the new market price, that hasn’t been proven, yet.

and if it ends up being true, it would fall into the common bucket of wines that are great and have been under-appreciated, so now they’re priced accordingly.

edit: specifically, the 2001 is a recent release and an epic vintage. so there’s that. plus an NFT project in the works.

I hear that chickens have been quitting in record numbers. The pandemic has made them reconsider their life choices.

1 Like

Which is a shame because the Tondonia Blanco demand curve is the key to all of the current worldwide supply/demand issues. EDIT: That, and poultry.

It’s an amazing wine. The acidity, freshness, off the charts. Piercing, powerful, absolutely electric. But with textural and aromatic complexity to boot. It should go for decades and decades and will be fascinating to follow. I served in a normal size tasting glass (equivalent of Zalto universal) somewhere in between fridge and cellar temp. I think a larger bowl (burg size?) and slightly warmer temp / cellar temp would be more appropriate. Unfortunately between 10 of us there wasn’t enough wine to really sit on it and let it evolve.

Re: pricing, I have 5 more I bought in the $160-200 price range, and if I could find more at that price I’d buy a whole case. I don’t think I’m a buyer at the $350 low price I can find online. I just don’t buy bottles of wine that expensive. As far as value goes though? For what people pay for 1er/GC white burgs of questionable integrity and aging potential, the current ask on Wine Searcher doesn’t seem that unreasonable. A generational vintage in the hands of the best producer in the region, could be one of the greatest white Rioja wines ever made? Who wouldn’t want that in their cellar? I’m holding onto hope I might stumble on another bottle or two at a local retailer somewhere.

2 Likes

That sounds glorious! I’m kicking myself for not being in the market for these wines 6+ months ago. I am still holding onto a sliver of hope that my local store can get me some bottles, they have me on a list of sorts and should contact me if any are coming in! However if anyone is reading with a large stash and cares to pass on a bottle or 2 for a fair price I’m very much in the market. One can only hope!