Lopez de Heredia Gran Reserva Rosado worth it?

Seems I’m swimming against the tide here but I think it’s totally worth $100, even if it can often be found for less when parcels are released. I’ve never seen it for less than $40 in Europe, and buy as much as I can when I get my hands on it at a good price (36 bottles of the 2008 at $55 a few years ago). It punches well above its weight, like the white almost always does, and the red (particularly in top vintages). IMO the whole range (perhaps apart from the GR) are still amazing bargains.

1 Like

Nice man! I hope you get em! Might be worth calling to confirm if you haven’t already, as my/a handful of others orders went through last year and then got the ‘no dice’ email after I had already started celebrating the score.

Several vintages at high end pricing (before buyer premiums) on Acker’s weekly auction closing tonight. Crazy.

Nice man! I hope you get em! Might be worth calling to confirm if you haven’t already, as my/a handful of others orders went through last year and then got the ‘no dice’ email after I had already started celebrating the score.
[/quote]

I have a confirmation email. At $60 plus tax and shipping it’s not exactly the steal the 2010 was but I won’t complain

1 Like

Seems like a wine that generated 40+ posts over a few days is worth a try at $100. As Vince T said, it is about the experience and creating memories – for me taking a chance is worth that for a first try. Totally different discussion if talking about stocking the cellar at that price. FWIW, I am not a huge Rose/Rosado drinker (though I do enjoy a glass it on a warm summer day) and I plan to buy it if I have the chance just based on the interest (+ or -) displayed in this thread.

I have had several vintages with different ranges of age up to about 15 years. Not my jam, but it’s an interesting wine and certainly one that everyone should try. That said, $100+ is pretty steep. In today’s real terms $40-60 seems reasonable. But I wasn’t buying it when it was $20-25 so I’m certainly not looking for it now.

Agreed, Ravi. I’m not a huge Rose drinker either, though the number of on this thread here have only served to pique my curiosity.

As others have said, this is a singular wine worth trying at least once if available under $100. You will likely either love it or hate it. I wouldn’t buy large quantities at $100 but I’ve bought many bottles of the 2009 and 2010 in the ~$60 range. It’s well worth that.

Yes, buy them in spades. Of course, last time I bought I was only allowed one, so my answer may not apply.

I recently had the 2010 off of a restaurant wine list for $126 (side by side with the 2008 Tondonia Riserva Blanco for the same price). Both were fantastic and a steal for that price at “restaurant pricing”. I would likely grab another bottle if I saw it for under about $80 retail, though not something I’d buy in quantity due to my general lack of love for Rose. The Tondonia Blanco, however, I would pounce on.

7/2: Updated the above to reflect that it was the 2008, not the 2010 Tondonia Riserva Blanco,that I enjoyed along with the 2010 Rosado.

1 Like

So much love for this wine….I’m considering putting a few 2010 up on commerce corner at reasonable prices as I feel guilty having a bunch. Anyone in the la area that’s interested,just shoot me a private message.

Is Lopez rosado rosé, or is it clarete, an old Spanish style of vinifying red and white grapes together to make a pink wine? I would have liked to start a new thread on this, but after hours of research I was not able to learn how to start a thread on Wine Berserkers.

If anybody wants 2010’s, see my post in commerce corner

There was a bit of discussion some time ago and I think that the conclusion was that it can be categorized as a clarete. They do use some white grapes in the blend and the color comes from skin maceration during the ferementation, not just a brief soak before the fermentation.

However, the style is noticeably more “rosé” compared to some more substantial claretes I’ve had that use fermentation / maceration times that are much longer but include a lot more white grape varieties in the blend.

Otto, thanks for your response.

My, how far we’ve come…

It certainly is a distinctive wine, and $125 for a bottle isn’t out of line, the fact that it is a Rose shouldn’t be relevant if you consider quality.

What would a 2010 bottle of Tempier Rose cost today? Or what is the time value of money to buy 2022 Tempier and hold it til 2035.

No argument here.
What makes this wine not “worth it” at $125 when many would find some SV Napa cabs at this price a steal?
Mainly commenting on the new normal yet wild price increases in such a short time.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of the RLdH rosado. Back in the day, when you could find these bottles collecting dust in Seattle area wine shops, I drank a crap-ton of the 90s era vintages. They were priced in the low $20s at retail back then. Still carefully rationing my remaining stash of less than a case of those wines.

That being said, for me, there’s no way I’d pay anything close to $125 for a bottle of these. But my compliments to Maria Jose and her team if they can get folks to pay those kinds of prices.

Michael

1 Like

That is collector bias, I assume from having paid prices unseen in decade+, not a reflection of the quality of a 14 year old Rose.

$125 for LdH Rose is certainly not on top of my list of spends, but it would likely deliver a lot more pleasure than many $125 wines…understanding that I used to drink these around Seattle too, at Oceanaire, Met, Campagne, Canlis and others for $60 to $80.

1 Like