Macdonald Waitlist

This article says that currently 75% of grapes from the MacDonald vineyard go to Mondavi, but after their contract expires in 2022 the MacDonald family may not renew and keep most of those grapes for themselves. That suggests with the 2022 vintage there could be a substantial increase in production. That could be the best hope for many of us on the waitlist.

2 Likes

The parents own the vineyard and the sons are customers. Those grapes are highly desired and worth a lot.

Iā€™m not sure that even if they had all the grapes from the vineyard that they could quadruple their production. Iā€™m sure they could make more, but I doubt theyā€™d take all the grapes. That being said, the relationship with constellation doesnā€™t seem to be quite as good as it was.

I guess more fundamental question is what makes Macdonald cabs so highly regarded? I never had one so I canā€™t really say anything about their quality, even though from what I gather, itā€™s extremely high, but is the allure more so because of their history and how they go about doing their business?

After the To Kalon legal dispute, I would be surprised if the MacDonalds decided to sell any grapes to Constellation/Mondavi once the contract is up.

Yeah I mean, itā€™s not like they couldnā€™t get top dollar from basically anyone for those grapes.

Looks like I signed up in 2016. Like ordering custom surfboards or a few guitars, I leave the shaper or luthier (winemaker) alone and just wait for that eventual phone call or email rather than lumping myself in with the numerous emails they must receive. Though it sounds like these guys are a class act and actually send personalized replies instead of canned ones.

Well ā€¦ what other SVD To Kalon wines are available for $175? Hilariously, the only answer to this question might actually be Mondavi. So, when you look at the prices of Schrader, Paul Hobbs, Realm, TOR, etc ā€¦ usually the price of admission is $250-500. That alone is going to keep a lot of folks buying as long as the wine keeps pace with the aforementioned ā€” and by all accounts, it does (perhaps and then some).

Macdonald, Screaming Eagle, and any other producer with a mile long waiting list could clear the list next week if they started pricing their wines at secondary market pricing (how long does it take to get off the Harlan list now ā€” 6 months?). In fact, the market price may well actually go down significantly once thereā€™s no more mystique/scarcity.

1 Like

It does also have the benefit of being really fā€™ing good.

1 Like

Wine is great. Had the pleasure of meeting Alex and Graeme at taste of Oakville their first year. Everyone was rushing to taste SE. Harlan. Maya. Etc etc. I kept coming back to their table. To me it was the best on display. Have had many vintages of theirs and the other stars of Oakville and will continue to be their fan. And keeping the price fair for the experience has been an added bonus.

1 Like

This right here. Not the same wines but you can hit a 5 Iron between the properties. Detert regular Cab Franc and Cabernet are just excellent wines I think around $110. The Cabernet is Clone 4 and made from vines replanted in the late 90ā€™s. Iā€™ve only had one MacDonal so far, the 2014. I would say Detert does not have the power and sheer size and old vine impact as McD but they are excellent Oakville wines and a bargain for Napa pricing these days. For those that care AG loved the 17 and gave the 18 a barrel score of (95-97). Not MacDonald but if you really want Oakville and To Kalon at a reasonable price you should sign up.

A visit with Tom is also a great way to spend an afternoon.

If anyone is seeking some well aged Greer and Blankiet Iā€™ve posted some on CCā€¦ [cheers.gif]

1 Like

AXR ($160), Alpha Omega ($198), Carter ($185-195) To Kalon SVDs are less than $200. Have yet to experience MacDonald but the three I mention are pretty darn good for the money.

I waited 8 years for an Astro-Physics telescope.

The old vine Cab Francā€¦

They may well, but I seriously doubt the vines would be used to expand the current flagship. Their vineyard is geographically diverse and a few feet makes a big difference in quality there. You can see it in the size of the trees across the property. That said, they already have the sweet spot of the vineyard and it is planted/farmed to produce lower yielding and higher quality wine grapes. Detert also has some vines in the MacDonald sweet spot area of the vineyard and they farm differently and drop far less fruit than MacDonald. It is an interesting visit for sure.

I beleive the vineyard is capable of producing about 1000 cases total. How much they keep vs sell could change but thats pretty much the top line

The 17 at kl only went for 371; shouldā€™ve bid.

Have any Macdonald drinkers had the special To Kalon bottling from Mondavi? Not the Reserve, but the special To Kalon labeled. (Red Wines, White Wines, RosƩ Wines | Robert Mondavi Winery) If so, curious how Macdonald compares to this. I tasted the 2013 TK when at the winery a few years ago and it blew me away. Crazy, crazy good.

Itā€™s almost 100% Macdonald per the discussion from Graeme on the bedrock podcast

I have not tried Detert, or even heard of themā€¦ Based on your comments, I signed their list and got a personal email from Tom within a couple of days, letting me know Iā€™d get an allocation next release. Cab Sav and Cab Franc.

I have been on the MacDonald waitlist for years. Donā€™t even remember when I signed up.