Martinelli fans?

Comparing the Martinelli Syrah to Relentless? I’m intrigued…

But you know, I will probably stop in and see. Thanks for Patz&Hall rec, Karen. I know of them, but have never had a bottle. If we have lunch in Sonoma we’ll stop by.

Anyone digging Hanzell these days? We’re tasting at Talisman in Glen Ellen and am starting to think we should just taste down there through the afternoon.

FIFY. Damn tourists. [stirthepothal.gif]

If you say so… but I think gasoline might give you more than a headache too.

Matthew, I would actually compare the Martinelli Blue Slide Ridge Pinot to Shafer Relentless pileon .

But the best advice I can give you when it comes to Martinelli is to ignore anything I post on the subject - I consider both Martinelli and Shafer to be DNPIM wines, so my input here should largely be viewed from the context of humor & sarcasm. I didn’t want you to think I was actually making an “informed” comparison between Martinelli and Shafer.

Yeah, yeah. Sometimes it’s a good thing that “tasting” doesn’t require drinking or swallowing. [cheers.gif]

RT

Touche [cheers.gif]

Some years ago, drinking a Martinelli Pinot Noir was what set me on a more AFWE path in my wine enjoyment journey.

I have a love/hate relationship with them. All is very high test. I hate the pinots…I just don’t want that in my pinot. They always seem hot and over the top. I love the zins. The do high test zin in a way that I find enjoyable and not unbalanced. 17% but not hot at times…weird but true for me. Chards and syrah…sort of in between, nothing to write home about. I’m a regular buyer, but only of the zins.

Don’t need to beat the dead horse on Martinelli style. If you’re in the town of Sonoma, a nice tasting can be had at Sojourn, which splits the difference between Copan and Martinelli and also makes some lovely cabs in addition to the pinots. Williams-Selyem has a beautiful winery and tasting room and is a nice stop.

Either of those could work. Williams-Selyem would be an experience…

Loud and clear. I also find that overbearing Pinots can be somewhat charmless and that weighty zins can hit the mark (Turley, Carlisle).

Their Zins have a mighty handy secondary use.
Simply pour some into your gas tank as a fuel additive…

Some of the worst drek I’ve ever tasted [barf1.gif]

TTT

I did not anticipate the barf gif coming out when I began the thread but there it is. Between that and Martinelli’s pinot being compared to Shafer Relentless - well, I’m getting the memo.

Adding my two cents… I was on their list, but dropped after a few tasting room visits. When I would stop by, the first thing they did was check their computer for my “standing” on their mailing list. It felt like the level of service I received was directly proportional to my level of spending (or lack thereof). This was years ago, so things may have changed.

If you’re in the neighborhood, check out Russian River Vineyards, Hop Kiln, Porter Creek or Rochioli. Russian River makes great pinots (IMO) without any of the attitude.

I visited maybe back in early June or July, I can’t exactly remember. I ran into someone I used to work with, she was new at the TR but ran us through quite a few wines and everyone there seems pretty friendly. I can’t say I like the Chards or Syrah much, I did enjoy a couple Zins (bought some off list, picked up that day I think they’ll need time in bottle and a good few hours opened before consumption) and some of the Pinot’s. I wanted to take a flyer on the BSR Pinot but at the price was a little hesitant (it was not available to taste) after what I’ve read on here vs what I usually enjoy drinking. Like others if you have the time, want to duck in for 20-30 minutes try a couple (they have different flights you can taste/share) and be on your way. Have fun!

Hopefully, the memo explains that this is the zeitgeist on Wine Berserkers, not that you shouldn’t have an open mind and try it for yourself, if you want to.

Absolutely!

The art of frontal resonance.

Definitely worth the visit if you have not been great site and the oldest PN vineyard in CA. Great hospitality experience and stemware used as well. Wines have gotten to big for me over the several years. I have many vintages in the cellar due to a close friend who worked there making sure I knew when library releases were coming up. They stopped posting tech sheets on the website but I recall the '06/'07 CH and PN being closer to 15% than 14% with much softer acids. Not sure if Jason had moved the style back to its roots of very age-able lower alcohol higher acid wines.

There are a lot of good spots in the RRV area near Martinelli though my recommendations are not in the full throttle style, Joseph Swan (worked there a few vintages so not impartial), Inman, Woodenhead. Lots of TR’s in one place at the Barlow as well. If you have limited time to get a few in.