Matt is a good guy

Michael, just try it please. It is simply, first you put the box on top of everything else in your suitcase; second close your suitcase and hit the road. Why is it so hard for you to believe people are good in nature.
To your question about I changed my story, Costco called me told me there is a mistake, then “After confirming there is an extra bottle, I called Costco right way to let them get me a return label so that I can return it.” Again, why is it so hard for you to believe people are good in nature.

Jack, just ignore the noise. You’re doing the right thing here. It was Costco’s error and they’re asking you to wildly inconvenience yourself as a result. To any reasonable person, you’ve made more than a fair attempt at determining how to return the bottle. Sounds like you’re at an impasse.

If your local Costco sells alcohol, then drop it there next time you visit, assuming they can take it. If not, and they insist that you must drive 18 hours or you cannot ship it, there is zero obligation on your end to do anything with it other than keep it.

If it were me and I had the good fortune of ending up with the extra bottle, I’d see if I could do something for charity with it. Turn an error into a good deed and never worry about it again.

5 Likes

What are you trying to say here? Costco does not give ‘free gifts’. If they want it back, return it.

I’m surprised they noticed honestly.

You’re telling me the genius at the door checking receipts didn’t actually look at your items?

1 Like

WTF. They need to provide a way for you to return it if they’re asking for it back. It was their mistake, not yours.

They didn’t check. To be fair, the wooden box was opened previously, but the lid is closed when give to me. I didn’t bother open the lid to check, nor did the guy at the door. I did show the recipe and told him there were 2 bottles of wine in that case.

They said it is alcohol so they can’t give me a shipping label. I offered to ship it myself if they can cover the shipping cost, the answer is still no.

Returning it via a shipping option seems simple, but it involves the need for a license which the OP does not have and Costco does not have. It wasn’t shipped initially so Costco can’t issue a call tag for the return.

To everyone reading this, I will return the bottle to my local store next week and let them handle this. If local store won’t take it back, I will give it to the 1st homeless people I see on that day as a holiday gift. Thank you for your advice.
For the ones that question my motivation, have a good day and put some trust in others.
Happy holidays everyone.

7 Likes

Return it to your usual Costco. Let them deal with the hassle of dealing with this issue. Just don’t let them take
The east way out by refunding you for the purpose.

You made a web order and picked it up? Or bought it in the store?

In store purchase

So you brought the tag to the checkout and they brought you a box and you left, and then they called you (presumably the # on your account) to tell you they mistakenly gave you too much wine? Weird.

That’s right. If they didn’t call, I wouldn’t consider opening my suitcase until sometime next week.

If they give you a shipping label, go ahead and send it back if it will help you sleep better. If they don’t give you a shipping label, you are under no obligation to go out of your way to do anything. I honestly doubt they will jump through hoops to get a couple hundred dollars worth of merchandise back when it’s their fault in the first place. Why bother?

I didn’t pay it so I should have send it back if there is a practical way. Also as an immigrant I am not very familiar with rules and laws here, so I don’t dare to do anything wrong. Some told me I don’t have any obligation to return it… This is another reason I want to try all possible ways to return it, as long as I don’t need to drive 18hrs…

Even thought OP probably doesn’t really have to do anything, my suggestions would be to

a) pay for the extra bottle. Frankly, if one can afford a couple bottles of Palmer, an extra should not be a big deal. Variant on this: ask them for a fair haircut to reflect that they are asking OP to wear all the burden of their error. I think Costco’s profit margin is roughly 15% on fine wine.

b) attempt to return it to another store that handles alcohol, if at possible, involving a manager in the return and documenting everything. A return where they do not issue a refund is likely to blow up everything up, and I could still see it going wrong. My life experiences with refunds at warehouses that are different from original purchase are always vexing.

Someone at the original Costco screwed up, and is trying to cover their butt. But the merchant is one of the rare good guys and if only for karma purposes one should try to not take advantage of them.

Costco managers do have the ability to unilaterally terminate your membership, and refund your fee, if they feel one has been abusive. Costco cognoscenti read about these cruel excommunications from their concrete temples and cringe. If that sanction matters to you, consider that in your response.

I’m the inconvenient person who checks shipments and stuff at the pick desk there and then. I’ve also had a case of 2000 Cheval Blanc accidentally sent to me (it was sent back) and then later (separate retailer) a case of 2000 LMHB same thing. That was also sent back. At least one of the two places sent me a bubbly as a nice guy reward or something. In both cases I had to call them to alert them to the problem. Nowadays, I would not be as overly tolerant of vendor glitches.

This.