Matt is a good guy

Reason without proselytizing.

You need to pay.
Or call this number 425.313.8100 as to speak to Craig (Jelinek). Tell him your problem (or his assistant). Tell us what happens. PS they are closed on the weekend.

This thread has really been silly. The only reasonable solution for all involved, and I am certainly including the original Costco Store, it so say Merry Christmas, it’s yours for free. The OP should shoulder no expense for returning the bottle. The original store cannot afford to make the return painless. If this bottle is returned to his local store the logistics to get the books straight and the item back to the original store will cost more than the entire original 3 pack. There is no economical solution other than to write it off.

Paying for the extra bottle sounds nice, but is another solution which places injury upon the innocent. The OP wanted two bottles, where does it make sense to pay for three when that was obviously not the original choice. Is this an example of upselling. For the cynical amongst us maybe the plan was, “We’ll give him a third bottle and then find a way to get him to pay for it.” Paying for it should not be in the viable options.

They should go that route and if you feel like gifting the bottle to one less fortunate than you, well good on you.

The rest of this noise is really nonsense.

10 Likes

This thread, lol.

He didn’t steal anything. Costco is a $400 Billion corporation. This isn’t Bob’s liquor store. He isn’t under the moral, ethical, or legal obligation or go out of his way to return it or to pay for it. That said, if he wants to buy the 3rd bottle, which is probably the easiest and most ethical thing to do, that’s what he should do. But to spend time physically returning? Silly.

3 Likes

This guy?

maybe not …
but if he values his Costco membership, and wants to keep it, he has 2 options …

1. Pay for third bottle
  2. Return third bottle

You want to call Mr. Wolff? Now, this is overkill.

Really?? Its a VERY easy solution. Do the right thing and return the bottle to your local store the next time you’re there.

Man, the lack of a moral compass in this thread is VERY concerning.

I’d be very surprised if his membership is revoked if he does nothing to return it or pay for it. Not going to happen.

They are not cancelling his membership unless they believe he stole the bottle. He did not.

The bottom line is I assume he can handle and afford the 3rd bottle given he bought 2. This isn’t a “bank erred in your favor” thing. If he can afford it and wants it, easiest to just pay for it. But if for some reason he can’t and doesn’t, I don’t see why he has to nor do I see why he has to spend more than 5 minutes righting the error of a gigantic corporation and figuring out how to return it.

As stated many times, the fact that Costco is a huge company matters absolutley zero. Do the right thing. End of story.

Is it THAT much of a hassle to bring the bottle to your local store the next time you go?? Come on people. You’re better than that.

3 Likes

Cool, option 2 is fine, just send over a shipping label or have a courier come by to pick up the bottle. If Costco isn’t willing to extend that kind of customer service to correct their own mistake, then maybe they aren’t worth having a membership with.

I would absolutely not do this unless Costco agrees to this remedy first. Otherwise, he is likely wasting his time only to end up in the same spot he is now.

Yeah, it’s a pretty big hassle. Personally, even though Costco has a great return policy I just eat the cost instead of having to stand in the line going out the door for 30 minutes to return merchandise. It’s not worth my time, and Costco should certainly not ask a customer to jump through hoops to correct a mistake they made.

1 Like

Yes, it’s kind of nuts people don’t value time the way they value wine on this forum. Time is worth a hell of a lot more than your bergundy or la tache or whatever the fuck costs 1000s of dollars that I don’t drink.

His interaction with the Costco people did not offer that as a solution. At the very most, he should maybe go out of his way and check with the Costco people to see if that solution works for them, and then do so if it does. If not, then he should not feel morally obligated to go way out of his way (his time and expense) for their mistake. For Costco to ask him to use his time to correct their mistake is the morally wrong part.

1 Like

Huh. That’s an interesting perspective. To me, doing the right thing is worth WAY more than all of that.

I hear what you’re saying…but im sure it would be easy for him to return to his local shop. Its freaking Costco, ha!

I’m curious to know what you do when you get home and find out that your 10 lbs. Costco bag of potatoes is actually 11 lbs.

3 Likes

People are intentionally trying to pretend that taking the bottle back to a nearby store is more difficult than it really is. These are the same people who argue that Costco is a giant corporation. These are the same people who argue that Costco should send him a shipping label, which they are not allowed to do. These are the same people who want Costco to send a chauffeur or a private jet or an aircraft carrier. None of these things will happen, and these people know it.
The OP clearly needs to buy a bale of toilet paper sometime soon. Take the bottle in. No inconvenience. Do the right thing and don’t construct artificial constraints.

1 Like