Matt Kramer on New World Pinot

I was at a Drouhin tasting (actually two over the course of two years) hosted by Philipe(Duke of Bourbon) and he went one step further. California CANNOT, he said, make drinkable Pinot.

I think he makes valid points concerning the need for clonal variety. But to set Burgundy on a mystical, non-rational 2+2=5 pedestal is pure hyperbole and ignores some of the most relevant recent developments in the wine world. Stating that Burgundy is “different” takes little imagination and parrots conventional wisdom.

To my mind and palate, Burgundy is the overpriced, overhyped, longstanding world standard. The reining “establishment” if you will.

Much more interesting (at least to me) is the march to attain greatness in other parts of the world.

Matt would certainly not be the first writer to experience struggles at the podium. I do find my Pinot consumer friends focusing on distinguished land here in America these days, and then trying to find the best wines from those pieces of land.

Any interest these days in the true Sonoma coast Kevin?

You are of course implying that soil (maybe weather?) is the only conduit for terroir. Which is a pretty rationalist way of putting that idea forward… [stirthepothal.gif]

Not sure that’s what he’s implying, but you cannot discount microclimate as a whole here - and that goes far beyond soil . . . . aspect, absolute temperatures, diurnal swings, etc. need to be brought into account here as well . . .

Larry,
There are occasionally new (or reclaimed) plantings in Burgundy but they are rare. One I recommend is from Lamy. Olivier has a Chardonnay vineyard cut into the rock above St Aubin. It has no classification so he sells it as Bourgogne. It is an excellent wine and great example of the role of rocky soils in what people describe as “minerality”. There are many deep soiled Bourgogne blanc and none has similar “rocky” character.

On your second question, I am not sure if it is illegal to grow other varieties or if the wine would just lack classification. In either case, I haven’t heard of it being done. It’s important to remember that France does not have CAs extended warm fall weather. The temperature drops off sharply in late September which provides a much narrower range of varietal fit.

Glenn,
Many of the ridgetops of the Sonoma Coast (the true Sonoma Coast) have the physical properties that we look for (shallow rocky soils etc). But given that there are already many excellent examples, I don’t believe we would add anything new.

Kevin,

Thanks. On your second point, there are other varieties that would handle this much narrower range of varietal fit, no? Stuff like Gewurztraminer on the white side. I’ll have to think a bit more on the red side, but I know there must be others . . .

Cheers

I think soil chemistry, the physical properties of soil, weather, elevation, exposure and microbial fauna are all terroir parameters that influence how a resulting wine will taste.

Well it depends on the appellation but other varietals allowed in burgundy are: Gamay, Aligote, pinot blanc, pinot gris and Ceaser. There is even an appellation where Sauvignon blanc is allowed.

To answer your second question a lot of AOC regulations are not really designed to produce the “best” wines but are regulations to protect the consumer so they can get what they are expecting. Distinctiveness, tradition and authenticity are valued in france, not just quality.

I did like his point about green harvesting. I think that growers of the bordeaux varieties in CA got wildly phobic about anything underripe creeping in, and the fixation on uniformity of ripening spread to the rest of us. I think varieties like pinot and syrah have something interesting to add at a wide range of points along the ripeness continuum. The notion of the cabernet winemaker/savant proclaiming the moment of perfect ripeness doesn’t apply so much to pinot. I think Kramer is right that we should be comfortable with a range of ripeness levels existing in a pinot vineyard, and that the choice of picking dates is about skewing that mix in one direction or another rather than aiming at a single point of perfection.

I agree. That’s why i think sorting is extremely overrated. Unless the fruit is problematic, there is no reason to nitpick on the sorting line. Sort out the leaves, and dead squirrels, but leave the rest in.

But Ryan, those dead squirrels are part of the ‘terroir’ - why would you pull them out?!??!?! (-:

And I agree about sortlng - I understand that theoretically, if you remove all mog (materials other than grapes) the wine should be ‘better’ - but I don’t really see anyone ‘experimenting’ but keeping many lots separate - those sorted and the same grapes not - and I’d love to see this happen . . .

Cheers

good point. damn, back to the drawing board.

I’ve gotten less uptight about sorting also. Once I started using a lot of whole cluster, I started feeling a little silly picking jacks out of the destemmed portion.
I’m actually a fan of any really dry leaves that make it into the bins. Crush them up, and they smell like tea.

I’ve eaten squirrel before…pretty sure I don’t want those flavors in my wine.

Kramer just wrote a piece last week claiming Central Otago to be one of a few areas in a “Golden Age” of wine (along with Burgundy, Oregon and the Mornington Peninsula), so the fact that this latest presentation occurred in NZ is certainly ironic. By the way, this link is to a much more thorough transcript.

burgundian squirrel is much better

My very first visit to a winery, long ago, Mondavi, and on the tour as fruit was being dropped off so we watch. They dumped a tote into the hopper and there was a huge dead rat in there. Guess it adds that gamey flavor.