Memorial Day Weekend - what are you opening?

Have not planned much so far but I have my eye on the first Curmudgeon Cuvée in honor of Bob.

We will probably take a couple bottles of Linne Calodo to a casual cookout on Sunday.

Thanks to those who serve our country and to those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Ahlgren 95 Cab Franc, Rhys Alesia 2011 Chardonnay, Dirty and Rowdy 2013 Mourvèdre I am pretty much a local wine buyer, sticking usually to 100 miles of my house. And except for Riesling, I stick to US wine anyway. Why go all over when in 30 miles is Santa Cruz appellation?

A toast to all fallen soldiers, who fought and died honorably, no matter where, when, or why.

A mag of Bagnol Cassis Rose at my neighbors “Thanksgiving Memorial Day Turkey Dinner.” Go figure. [cheers.gif]

Love Rasika’s crispy spinach appetizer. Enjoy.

Wines we’re opening for a dinner tomorrow night:

Moet Chandon Dom Perignon 1996
Aubert Reuling Vineyard Chardonnay 2008
E. Guigal Condrieu La Doriane 2006
Mouton Rothschild 1985
Vineyard 29 Cab 2005
Hundred Acre Ca Ark Vineyard 2006
Pride Mountain Cab Reserve 2007
Tenuta San Guido Sassicaia 2006
Pieve Santa Testituta (Gaja) Brunello de Montalcino Sugarille 2004

Dang, this is hard. Hadn’t thought about it and now have a list of about 25 things in my head. Right now,I’m thinking:

-Littorai Vin Gris
-Tench Sauv Blanc taste-off between from a couple different producers (gotta mine in the cellar to see who all is there)
-Some Quivet and/or Myriad reds (in addition to Tench SB above)…was inspired by the Quivet release announcement today and the Quivet vs Myriad thread on the board.

Happy holiday all!

I missed the Special Operations Memorial service on Fort Bragg because they held it before the weekend and I only heard about it on the television news after the fact. I will be attending a memorial service at my church Saturday afternoon.
Tonight I am opening a 2010 Jean Albrecht Gewurztraminer Reserve, Alsace to have with chicken, and Memorial Day I will open a 2007 Ancien Pinot Noir, Carneros, CA if I have a casual meal, or a Spanish Tempranillo if I decide to make a pot roast.
P.S. We’ve had several days getting over 90 F. this month and I noticed yesterday that the condo complex pool is now open. May swim this weekend.

There must be a story connected with the range of wines for one dinner. Do tell!

Anchor Steam California Lager, after I open 15 80# bags of concrete and mix by hand for the post pylons and new threshold that will hold up the new custom redwood gate for our side yard. Crossfit is for pu$$ies.

Truncated version:

I belong to a wine club. One of the members lives at a country club. This CC made some wines available for purchase. We bought 4 wines from the CC’s cellar. Since 8-10 people were invited, 4 bottles would not be sufficient, so it was decided that each couple would bring a wine with a RP of 95 pts. or higher. Once the list was finalized the Head Chef at the CC would develop a menu to compliment the wines.

Beer for breakfast (tradition for us on Monday holidays)

Then heading down to a friends island house where I will sit on the dock and drink HIS wine–'twill be good stuff.

I just realized I still have a couple of bottles of the 2009 Bruno Giacosa Barbera d’Alba Falletto di Serralunga, and figured what the hell. Chicken on the grill; we shall see

Or on the 4th of July.

Going with some cheap Ozeki one cups sakes – Kanpai 乾杯

Probably a 1995 SQN Queen of Hearts Rose. Luckily for me, I just picked one up at auction for $42,000!

There is always a better wine than Zinfandel.

It’s looking like we will be opening some Donnhoff Riesling, Quivet Tench and a Zin that is yet to be selected. We will be grilling the normal fare, steak and halibut.

[welldone.gif]

last night a terrific 2001 Prunotto Barbaresco (ok, a little new world-y) and very tasty 2005 Leon Barral Jadis (Faugeres).

Today: going tasting in the valley (Willamette, that is).

Have a great holiday weekend everybody.

A 2010 Gramercy Cellars Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon to go with grass-fed New York Strips on the grille.

Beautiful weekend in SoCal mountains. Sharing a cabin and wines with friends.

Friday:
2012 Ceritas Pinnacle Chard
2002 Tor Kenward Heritage Old Clones Cabernet
1997 Ojai Henry Daniel Syrah

Saturday:
2009 Bedrock Ancient Vines Syrah (Mag)
2001 Pax Lauterbach Hill Syrah

Sunday: Still mulling while finishing the Ceritas.
Perhaps…
2012 Dirty and a Rowdy Semillon
2008 Thackrey Orion
And either 2007 Lagier Meredith Syrah, 2003 Pahlmeyer Merlot, or 2012 Rudius Bedrock Mourvèdre

Great weekend retreat after being evacuated for wildfires recently.