Mexico City?

Quintonil and Contramar are musts. Also, Maximo Bistrot just reopened and is worth checking out.

2 Likes

We did a food tour with Eat Like a Local and really enjoyed it: https://eatlikealocal.com.mx/. The guide was engaging and we visited several huge markets we wouldn’t have otherwise known how to navigate. Not all food tours are created equal but this one was worthwhile, and a nice counterpoint to the fine dining we did in CDMX.

YouTube started showing me videos of restaurants in Mexico City today, and a bunch of bars there just for listed very highly on the worlds 50 best and now I come here and this thread pops up. It’s clearly a sign.

1 Like

Did you get a reservation for Contramar or walk-in? I hear it’s high turnover / low reservations, so you put your name down and just hang. I wonder if they text when tables open or its open outcry…

The restaurant certainly tries to turn tables (food is cleared quickly), but the scene is basically a big party, and tables do linger. I’d suggest a reservation, if possible.

To Evan’s point, those looking for a guided market tour could do worse than searching out Christina Potters.

1 Like

Got a contramar resy via Amex concierge. Pumped for that. Also was recommended a vegetarian lunch at Expendio de Maiz Sin Nombre in Roma Nte. Trying to line up a few shows/museum visits.

Any reccos on places to grab tequila/mezcal to bring home? Last visit we made our bones in Oaxaca.

1 Like

Let me ask some people about retail Mezcal in CDMX.

1 Like

El Grifo, MisMezcales, and Sabra Dios are all well regarded in CDMX.

thank you Glenn!

1 Like

I go a couple times a year and these are all great small purveyor shops.

Clearly. Those algorithms know yourself better than You do!

Got back. What a trip!
Will put together some comprehensive notes in the next 48 hours. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hopefully I can provide a helpful resource for future visitors.

All great recommendations here. I go to Mexico City quite a lot. There are so many good restaurants and such a diverse cuisine, and Mexican cuisine is fantastic!

Maximo is my personal favorite restaurant. Of course Pujol is a reference but is very traditional in its way.

Wine is taxed a lot in Mexico. I find good values in Spanish wines there. I always drink old vintages of rioja when I go there.

Matter fact, did you know that Vega Sicilia’s biggest market is actually Mexico? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would disagree. IMO it is some of the best cuisine on the planet.

George

2 Likes

This is what I meant!! Sorry I mis-expressed myself :wink:

Okay, let me categorize the visit by a few different groupings:
Sights

• Soumaya: Quirky look into the brain of Carlos Slim. The sculpture gallery of Rodins and Daumiers was the highlight, as were the Rodin Gates and some of the classic Mexican murals. Meh+ / Yeah -, but free entry
  • Anthropology Museum: If you are interested in tribal history of Mexican ancestry, this is a fantastic visit, with regional exhibits on Olmecs, Mayans, Aztecs, etc… Yeah+
  • Chapultepec Castle: Wonderful architecture, great jogging spot if you are staying near Reforma/Condesa, and a great insight into Mexican political history. Yeah+
  • Museo de Arte Moderno Small gallery with a few exhibits (had a Gabriel Garcia Marquez) but beautiful sculpture garden, rotating exhibits. Yeah+
  • Forro Shakespeare : wonderful little theater in Condesa

Cafecitos

• Quentin : Hipstery, international vibes, but they have good beans. I prefer the location in Hipodromo to Obregon. Great spot to people watch, high quality pasteries.
  • Drip! : No frills focus on high quality pourovers and espresso bar. They sell La Rifa chocolates but have limited pastries
  • Cucurucho Condesa : Less hipstery but a great spot for working. Good pourovers, better food options than Drip.
  • Panaderia Rosetta (Puebla) :Really lovely pasteries but the coffee is a bit more of an afterthought. Still worth a visit, esp in the Roma Nte branch
  • Raku : Only had a flat white which was really nice, but can’t form a total opinion on the spot.
  • Postales : Needs to upgrade bean quality, but a really nice vibe
  • Spots to try next time: Almanegra, Buna

Cafes / Brunch / Casual eats

• Milou Hits all the hipster requisites. Wonderful vibes, really delicious food, not a gougy price point (even relatively speaking). Went twice. Sister spot to Hugo wine bar that has probably the most interesting (hipster) wine list in the city. OHYEAH
  • Veguisma : More international / gringoy, but a nice oasis for the vegetarian looking for a break from Al Pastor
  • Lardo : Didn’t have nearly as great of an experience as a few years ago. The food felt a bit heavier and less inventive. They do have cheap Clos Cibonne on the wine by the glass list which my wife was super happy about! They just opened a new pizza only joint on Puebla which is a gringo favorite.
  • Gigi Delicatessen : Hipster / elevated diner. Gringo prices, food was tasty but underwhelming. Beautiful counter seating overlooking the street for prime people watching
  • El Turix : Speaking of al pastor and Cochinita Pibil, this is damn tasty but a beatdown for the gringo belly
  • Expendio de Maiz Sin Nombre : Great vegetarian friendly tacos in the heart of Roma Norte, way better than the kitschy options in Mercado Roma
  • La Carreta de Juana : quick biz lunch spot near Reforma. Solid fish tacos, but also not super gringo belly friendly

Nightspots

• Las Brujas Bar : Just my vibe of cocktail joint. Warm, inviting, adult but not stodgy. Really good cocktails but not so self absorbed. Friendly (all female) staff.
  • 50 Mills (Four Seasons) : Staying here, we popped in for a night cap. Exceptional delivery and craft, beautiful spot. Not as warm as Brujas
  • Baltra : In Hippodromo. A worse version of Brujas. Cocktails were by and large too sweet.
  • Bottega : Some interesting wines by the glass, but a bit too gringoy on the prices and selection. Nibblers were meh.
  • Zunzun : Saw a wonderful live performance there. Not great food, but some nice sipping mezcals to get you through.

Finer dining

• MeRoma : Still our fave. Hits the right notes on hipster food but solid execution. Pretty solid wine by the bottle list. Went a second time for desert on the patio. Highly recommend.
  • Kuren : They do an afternoon Omakase (8 course) for ~$40 USD. Wonderful value, quality fish. Sad to see it quite empty though.
  • Contramar : A big party, lots of hullabaloo, lots of scenesters and rich westerners. Fish was wonderful, and its def an institution, but it lacks some of the more creative magic that I prefer in a place like MeRoma.
2 Likes

What do you do if you’re not a hipster?

You go to the big ones:

1. Pujol
  2. Quintonil
  3. Massimo

Anyways, price is peanuts compared to the States for what you get :slight_smile:

Pete

1 Like

Hi - bringing this thread back to life - I’ll be traveling to Mexico City in about a month. I’ve done most of the big hitters mentioned in this thread.

Are there any new under the radar restaurants I should try?

Thanks in advance!