Mezcal advice?

Kris, where would I find El Jolgorio in Seattle? I haven’t seen it anywhere (other than in a few restaurants).

Had a cocktail class at The Mixing Glass last night, featuring Mezcal, and with a presentation by Judah Kuper of Mezcal Vago. Wow, fantastic stuff, wonderful story. A whole new world of Mezcal, truly. Bought a bottle of Elote, and the Paranubes rum which was otherwordly good - unlike ANY rum I’ve ever had.

Have recently enjoyed Siete Misterios - Tobala. http://www.sietemisterios.com/en/tobala/
and I enjoy Illegal Mezcal there Banjez Joven is great.

Heading to Mexico City for Thanksgiving in hopes to gain more knowledge… :slight_smile:

George

Highly recommend anything from here. http://mezcalgarrafas.com/home/

Unsure if available in the states.

George

Probably need to special order it thru a store. Mostly a restaurant brand as retailers aren’t willing to shelf much Mezcal.

Been looking at Los Javis lately, may bring that to WA, good people, own the land, good product.

When I was in Mexico City they recommended that I try the mezcal with orange slices and sal de guasano. They said this is how you traditionally drink it. I was thinking it was like Cuervo with lime and salt but it couldn’t be more different. It really complements the mezcal. We were drinking some pretty high end stuff and it IMO is the way to go.

Give it a try.

George

According to the folks at Mezcal Vago, the locals in Oaxaca drink it straight, room temperature, at full strength.

Next time you are out here. I will show you. Trust me on this one.

George

I always sip it strait with an orange slice on the side with a little guasano salt on it.

My current favorites:

Cuish Tobaziche;
Mezcal Real Minero Espadin; and
Rey Campero Tepextate.

Anyone try the Casamigos Joven? Starting to see bottles in my area. Would’ve bought but price is making me hesitate at $59.99

$60 for a joven?!?! Ouch.

That’s called the Clooney mark up.

Been working on some Alipus mezcal - pretty good

Drinking Del Maguey Arroqueno right now. Brilliant and complex. Perhaps my favorite of the Del Maguey single villages I’ve had. Apparently a 350-bottle limited edition.

Have bond money ! [snort.gif]

Picked up a bottle of Jolgorio ‘Cuixe’ on Don’s rec.

While at the flagship Spec’s here I noticed an explosion of high-end Mezcal. Probably close to 10 different producers making $100+ bottlings. Would love other recommendations for producers to try.

Yes, you drink it straight, the orange slices (or cucumber slices) with sal de guasano are on the side.

I need to find some good Mazcal locally, I’ve only bought in MX both retail and from a friend who is in the business.

I found it both ways in Mexico. With the oranges/sal de guasano or without. It is also very good with chapulines on the side.

caskers.com has a very good selection of Mezcal. They certainly aren’t the cheapest though.
They have the limited edition Leyenda Mezcals. Stupidly expensive but really quite amazing if you appreciate Mezcal.

George

And they are AMAZING (thanks, George, for the tastes!)

The way I felt the next morning. I think we had a little more than a taste.

champagne.gif [snort.gif]

I’ve only had the Leyenda Oaxaca, but I would love to get in to their other offerings. I’m strongly considering a Mezcal-heavy trip to Mexico during the next couple of years.