Moccamaster 101 - advice for newbie please

1 Like

if anyone wants a gently used moccamaster in very good shape, pm me. it works great i just don’t make drip anymore.
i have the Technivorm Moccamaster 39340 CDT Grand Coffee Maker, 60 Ounce, Silver.

Santa brought me a Moccamaster Technivorm. First pot, not even geeked out by exact weight, and it’s great.

3 Likes

You will love it Dennis!

1 Like

My Technivorm was delivered 16 years ago. Been making a pot a day ever since. The thing just won’t die. Does anyone else have one that old?

1 Like

Mid 2000’s here, but I probably only use mine 3 times a week so yours has mine beat on cycles.

1 Like

Is there significant weight variance after grinding?

Depends on the grinder (some have higher retention than others, usually discussed in reviews) and the roast (darker can have more retention). You don’t want it to be significant.

People grind by weight, volume, or time. All of those can vary depending on size of beans, level of roast, grinder, grind level, whether beans came from freezer, amount of beans in the hopper if not just for a single use (density of beans, packing of smaller vs larger beans, their hardness, and whether weight of more beans in the hopper feed the burrs more efficiently), probably other factors.

I’m a partial geek, at most, I typically brew a pot of drip coffee in the morning. Maybe if/when I retire I’ll switch to pour over methods. Weight is most consistent. If I had to guess, I think volume is next and timing is least consistent. I’ve never tried to quantify but I think the methods can differ by as much as 15-20% in terms of quantity of coffee grinds produced (assuming a variety of different types of beans rather than always the same).

-Al