More shipping stupidity

This is why I have really cut down on wine shipments since I retired. It was one thing to have wine shipped to my office when I was working. If I was on vacation, my secretary would get the wine put into a secure place until I got back. Now, I hardly get wine shipped to me anymore and only get it shipped from places that use FedEx so that I can have the wine shipped to a local Walgreens that has a FedEx place inside it and not have to wait at home all day for the FedEx delivery. Even with that, I only get wine that will be shipped immediately, so I don’t have to worry about wine coming when I am away.

I don’t see this as much in the way of individualized service - they ship out probably 90% of their packages when they think it’s safe to do so, and hold the rest until the consumer contacts them, charging monthly storage after a defined period. But to answer your question, I’d pay more to buy from a shop that offered this arrangement than one that I knew would ship as soon as I ordered the wine, even if it was the middle of a heat wave.

Another reason why I very rarely buy wine from the left coast.

Reading the thread more carefully, I don’t think putting custom shipping instructions in the ‘order notes’ section is really a valid request. If the merchant had some kind of box one could check that said ‘hold til shipping requested’ then that would have been more obviously a service they were offering. A request on an internet/email blank space box for text is realistically not going to be seen/honored by a shipping dept.

I have actually noticed that most of the retailers I deal with do not offer a ‘custom notes’ section, likely to avoid these kinds of problems. They have some kind of rules for their HTS options, as well as shipping defaults, and those are what their shipping depts are set up to follow best.

Personally, I have drastically cut down the number of (online) retailers I deal with, using only 5, which just one out of state. But I am much more sensitive to ‘hold’ policies than most.

Good point,

However, many retailers I purchase from don’t give that as an option. Only option is in the order notes. If they don’t read them , why have them?

I don’t order from many wineries anymore but every one I do business with does confirm that I’ll be available and the weather is OK before shipping to me. I wouldn’t do business with one that doesn’t care to check these days, especially given the variability in both weather and shipping times.

2 Likes

It’s a challenge. Period. And even when all best efforts are made, stuff happens . . .

Cheers

I think its just that order entry / management system probably had that as some default, and as a practical matter they don’t care enough to read the notes.

Some retailers will even advise that they will freely switch vintages on wines when they are below a certain price threshold, which presumably order notes might a place to advise about ‘ok to switch random CA chardonnay, not ok to switch out some GC burg’

Generically it feels like a lot of the value package that vendors offer is being broken down more carefully, and parts being taken away if the vendor thinks they can pull it off. As labor continues to tighten, I just don’t see that changing.

The only response is voting with dollars, leave accurate reviews where it can influence, and being understanding where inevitable/inadvertant issues flare up. I’m sure I’ll fail the latter plenty more times this year myself!

Sometimes the blame isn’t with the originator. I’ve sent wines that end up missing deliveries or the carrier has delays en route. We just started using FEDEX Cold Chain for the most part in the Southern states. Delivery is by 10:30 AM, or 2:30PM the day after it arrives refrigerated at the hub following the non-stop transit. An important question to consider is if the wine is that hot, is it leaking? If not, imagine if the box wasn’t opened immediately. What clues would you look for to suggest it had ever been hot?

glad someone started a topic for “shipping” flirtysmile
some many weird posts about it
these days their ae so many “shipping” expectations LOL
imagine if you couldn’t have wine shipped???

Going the other direction, I’d like to order from Champagne from B-21 but the safe shipping window from FL seems to be razor thin.

Business have their models; I have mine. I buy only from places that will hold my wine until I contact them to ship it.

4 Likes

I won’t disagree with this, however it is beyond reckless to ship anything that isn’t overnighted with cold packs in this weather. May to late October, wine shouldn’t be shipping from CA across deserts.

2 Likes

I’m curious - which wineries or retailers engage and ask you if they can ship or hold shipment automatically until you tell them to ship? I’m on a lot of winery emailing lists and I’ve never encountered that. They say “shipping weather permitting”, but nobody has ever directly contacted me and asked specifically if I’m home or OK to receive. Not being confrontational, just genuinely curious who does this?

Many, many wineries have their spring releases this month - are we saying they’re being irresponsible?

[scratch.gif]

So you are asking “which wineries care if you receive undamaged goods, and which ones don’t”?

Thanks for letting us know where you stand on this, Adam.

2 Likes

in recent experience, iOTA Cellars.
After my BD-13 purchase this year, i got this email a few weeks later:

"Thanks again for your WineBerserkers Day purchase! The weather window is looking good right now for shipping your package out this, Monday, February 28th for delivery to your residence by the end of the week/early next. (You’ll also receive a tracking Email with a more accurate date of arrival.) Please confirm that you or another individual will be available to receive it, since an adult signature will be required. Also happy to ship your package to a FedEx outlet near you, if picking up may be more convenient. Just let me know your preference.

Kind regards,
Johanna Sandberg
iOTA Cellars"

So yeah, some wineries do confirm before shipping.

Adam, you have a good point. I wouldn’t expect a small producer like yourself to call or email every customer before each shipment. But there are a few difference between your situation and what I’m describing in this case.

1. I was buying from a wine retailer. Their entire job is selling wine, so I think it’s reasonable to expect a bit more time and effort on their part when it comes to arranging shipping.

2. This is a retailer that offers a “weather hold” option, as well as a “consolidate order” option. Therefore, they should have the ability to hold orders for some time. If they don’t have that capability, then they shouldn’t offer that service at checkout.

3. I don’t think anyone here is asking for a personal email or phone call asking for permission to ship every single order. I’m no shipping expert, but it seems reasonable for an automated email to be sent a few days before the shipment goes out. An email saying, “we’re about to ship your wine, let us know if we shouldn’t do that” would be sufficient. Had I gotten an email like this, I definitely would have asked them to wait.

I think the other part that is particularly irritating is that I had opted to consolidate and hold bottles. I’ve been occasionally adding a bottle or two to the order over several months. Then all of a sudden, when it’s hot and sunny out, I get an email, “you’re wine has been shipped”. I hadn’t accumulated a full case, and hadn’t even ordered anything for several weeks. I’m not even sure what triggered the shipment. Besides it being too hot out, I could have been out of town or unable to receive a shipment for any number of reasons. It’s not like I just placed an order and was expecting it to come. I had explicitly requested that the order be held. But they sent it anyway, without warning, during hot weather, and the bottles were cooked.

1 Like

I can come up with a lot of examples of wineries checking before they ship. A quick search of my emails showed Boheme, Di Costanzo, and Lewelling

The absolute worst company for this is Zachy’s. They pretty much tell you they can’t control exactly what date an order is shipped. I would never request they ship unless the temperatures for weeks around when your request is put in are perfect. They shipped and had a few k in wine cooked and had to refund me. Hopefully they didn’t sell it to someone else but who knows.