Morel Mushrooms

Check in regularly and sign up for their emails. Obviously more mushrooms can come in all the time. I’d hold out for Oregon.

We haven’t started getting them here in IN yet, but will soon. Son and spouse the best hunters–I the best cook. Like them sauteed in butter with shallots added in after–morels will absorb the flavors they are cooked with, so go easy. Then on toasts or in pasta for us. There’s a classic Daniel Boulud recipe for chicken with morels and fresh favas, in one of Molly O’Neill’s books, that for me, is let us say, convincing. For me best pairing is red burg or oregon pinot…

1 Like

Thank you again for the recommendation. 5lbs arrived today. It’s going to be a marathon weekend figuring out how to use them all. Morel biscuits and gravy for Saturday breakfast?

I’ve looked for the past 5 years and have not found anything. I know all my trees, soil temperatures, and still nothing.

I did follow through with the biscuits and gravy. Pretty damn good…
C07BE908-B342-494C-BCAD-9E0DA94BE1CD.jpeg

champagne.gif

Phil - that looks fantastic. No fuss, just a celebration of the product. Well done!

Butter themed:
2F2D5D0D-F04A-462A-A0B8-83AA1089E9DB.jpeg
899ACA1C-8FE7-4E16-9E75-B0CC705607D2.jpeg
2581A38B-23D2-406F-AE12-408DB1F4D4F0.jpeg
DEAB86E4-05E3-4079-B1BC-D471FD904D31.jpeg

And:
F415E9FE-6E50-42E0-BEF1-9657D4984754.jpeg

Made pasta yesterday with morels and leftover roast pheasant. Started by cooking the garlic in butter, then adding mirepoix. Once that was done, pulled out the veggies and sauteed the morels in 2 batches. Then deglazed with some leftover pinot noir and added a half cup or so of reduced duck stock and returned the mirepoix to the pan and added the diced pheasant meat and fresh thyme. Cooked down a bit, then added a quarter cup or more of cream and waited for it to thicken up nicely. Garnished with more fresh thyme and served over gemelli with a 2011 Ganevat Chardonnay Paradis. So delicious.

Lee, that sounds better than delicious! Wow.

How did you find the blonde vs. the traditional? That’s what they seem to have in stock now.

Anyone have any recipes they love that are not cream or butter based (use olive oil instead)?

Blonde morels typically come at the beginning of the season. We know when to start watching and asking for them from our suppliers.

Found these in the yard today… thanks for posts on how to cook them!

1 Like

You should probably have them with a steak :wink:

Smoked a Morgan Ranch brisket this weekend. I need a few days with some salad and veggies before I jump back into steak again.