Most beautiful wine labels?

Great topic!

The ones I love:
JB Neufeld - very Saul Bass, love it!
Jonata, Gaja etc - I’m a sucker for the ones where there’s a contrasting band at the top, like in the Dubonnet/Campari camp.
Enfield Wine Co - that huge swath of red is really simple and eye catching.
Hunter Glenn - I love how they created a logo from the amalgamation of the initials. Invokes some old car brand or something.
Claus Presinger - A study in minimalism and a pretty big influence on the labels I did.
Sibylle Kunz - another great use of minimalism and swaths of color. Very concise and interesting branding.
La Stoppa - good balance between minimalism and traditionalism (i.e. showing vineyard/estate on label)
Birtokbor - Pharmaceutical and medicinal, love it.
Porseleinberg - if you’re gonna invoke traditionalism and pedigree, then doing it embossed is really cool and makes it feel modern.
Ridge - I mean, what a simple classic. I bet there was a time when it didn’t feel right maybe, but everything is cyclical and it’s def come full circle now. That font and color schemes feels really fresh.

The stuff I’m getting sick of:

1. I’m so over the natural wine movements “whimsical” hippie labels. Henna printed art, home stamped, watercolor art or nonsensical stuff. If I have to turn the bottle around to read what’s actually in it or who makes it, I think you’ve already failed. But people seem to love it. When I go to my hip natural wine stores here, it’s all that. Shelf after shelf, they all look exactly the same and there’s no knowing who makes it, what’s in it or what vintage. Sigh.

2. So over the the old western-trying-to-invoke-old-lettering-or-tradition stuff like Phinney’s Cooper & Thief label. I’m sorry, that just feels very 2010 and it has run its course now. Every artisanal Gin or Rye distillery has that style on the label trying to pretend they’ve been around since 1880, even though they’ve barely been in business for 3 weeks and are owned by Diageo. Yuck.

3. Overly traditional cursive stuff, again trying to invoke classic aristocracy or pedigree. That’s why I can’t really get that excited about Carlisle or Kutch from a design perspective (I know they make great wines).
    JB+Neufeld+Yakima+Valley++Bootle.jpg
    190117_fenix.jpg
    Hunter+Glenn+Syrah.jpg
    hunterglenn.png
    2014-Hayne-Vineyard-Syrah-Bottle.png
    5d0ca266015718cba9f7cb84_SK_Mosel_Riesling_2011_Programm_W.jpg
    LaStoppa.jpeg
    p18qip088c1nqt1pmnllu1k2qhtan.jpg
    vaxtopp.jpg
    wine-label-design-3b.jpg
    cYBGbpRISeuf2flGAgAYIQ_pb_x600.png

Me too - I absolutely love the old, old one from the 70s/80s, a theme they kept up until this new one (which is still classy, but not that classic “Game of Thrones” gothic.

My favorite Burgundy label. It used to be Misserey et Freres, the old label from the 50s through the 80s was classic Burgundy (sorry, don’t know how to post pictures) -

That Claus Preisinger label is phenomenal.

Will Segui’s “William & Mary” cab has an understated, elegant label that I really like.

07AB9BC6-1EBE-41D8-965F-5DC27C077889.jpeg

Another used to be the Morey Monge label for RSV that DRC took over.

so interesting to see how different everyones tastes are

So nice, isn’t it?

Agreed!

Agree on Ridge - such a timeless design and never in need a brand refresh. I’m also a big fan of the Hirsch Estate wine labels. Locally in Santa Barbara County, my favorites are Tyler, Melville, and the classic quirkiness of Au Bon Climat (maybe not “beautiful” but I like the design).

Others favorites - Vietti, Produttori, Le Ragnaie, Montevertine, Cristom, Big Table Farm, Brick House, Gramercy, R Lopez de Heredia Vina Tondonia, Heitz, Clos du Marquis, St Cosme, Mount Eden, Vieux Telegraphe, Ceritas, Jamet, Clos des Lambrays, Raen.

I love the traditional French label design - so could go deeper there.

Love Hirsch and Tyler. Forgot about them!

Agree on Ridge: timeless.

Nice list of Old Wolrd labels. I love Produttori del Barbaresco in all variants, just so classic! R Lopez de Heredia beautiful beautiful stuff… as all the others you mention above [wow.gif]

Totally agree - the Catena Zapata Argentino label is amazing!

Dan, is that an old Montre Cul label, or a current one? Here’s one I used to sell from KLWM:
Bouvier_MontreCul_10_web.jpg

I’m a fan of the Marques de Murrieta labels…
597765_1 (1).jpg
I’m biased as it’s a birth wine, but really love this one from Hall:
old_jacks.png
B. Mascarello’s entry level wines have really lovely labels, too
c4a26087-9357-443a-8f07-fb37b04149b7.jpg
I have to say this Saxum is aesthetically pleasing to me as well:
46b0d7b2-ddbc-44c6-8b64-7141c5122841.jpg
Honorable mention nods to Lopez de Heredia, Roulot, PLL, and Pichon Baron.

Forgot about that one - just a gorgeous label.

All really good choices!

As for the Hall…isnt the first vintage 2005?? I’m not the best at math…but wouldnt that make you 15 [wow.gif]

Kutch

I believe these are paintings that Bartolo did himself? I have this one that Maria Theresa gifted to me on a 2006 visit framed in our dining area:
image0 (2).jpeg

a few come to mind, with Rousseau already mentioned. These are all public domain photos so not the best in clarity…
ennie-kramer-1392465481-ee614ad99c75.jpg
10513854.jpg
champagne-entre-ciel-et-terre-extra-brut-francoise-bedel-nv.jpg
395843.jpg

Youngest player on this site, lol… Should have qualified a birth wine for my son, Jack (2014).