Most bottles of a single wine from one vintage in your cellar

Noodle-slinging can be worthwhile.

similar thread years ago got the mic drop when Rosania said he had 500 cases of 96 Salon, admittedly 6 bottle cases, but geez . . . 3000 bottles, at that time about $200/b, now close to $1000/b.

I bought them cheap, in the 2009 market crash, for about $250 per bottle. The wine has under-performed equity indices, but I am not complaining…too much.

Could drink a bottle a day for like 8 years. What a life.

I think stocking up top champagne from a good vintage if you can find it at good prices is the way to go, especially 2008 which in some cases had low production. Some people have been reporting retail prices > 200 for 08 Dom now. If you buy 500 cases, you’re probably buying at least a chunk of it for resale which isn’t my goal with wine at all, but certainly you won’t be able to buy it for these prices in a few years and the next Dom release is 2012, I believe, which likely won’t be for a year or two. By then I doubt you’ll find 08 for < 200 a bottle.

NV Egly-Ouriet Grand Cru Brut Rosé - not as much as Michael has of 2008 Dom, but pretty close. Two different parcel purchases, so mainly two different disgorgements.

Then it’s a jump down to about half that of Francis Boulard Les Murgiers, followed by a number of others in the 3-5 case range.

My very favorite thing about having a cellar is the ability to follow a single wine over time. If a wine is worth buying, it’s worth buying at least 6, price and availability permitting. If I love it, then I want a long term relationship with it.

Champagnes are the top three, next is two cases of 2009 VCC.

I think buying Champagne 2008 is a good call, but I like a lot of different styles, so limit myself to two cases of any one. I did buy a lot of NV Roederer based on great QPR.

This is me too. My wine interests/tastes are far too varied to commit to significant quantities of one wine. I typically buy 2-3 bottles of a wine, and if it’s something I really love, I might buy 4-8 bottles (or even a case on very rare occasions where I find a truly great wine for a price I can’t pass up).

I probably do have a full case quantity a handful of wines (3-4) purchased over the years, with most of the rest being in the 2-4 bottles/wine range.

2014 Sociando Mallet
2014 Pichon Lalande

2014 PLL was silly value at less than $100

2010 Valdicava - wine that made me more interested in learning about wine
1 case

In fact, it is the 2010, which is being launched this year. I already reviewed it!

This is our “house” Blanc de Blancs, too! One of the best values in the region, and simply delicious irrespective of such considerations.

According to cellartracker, mine is 28 bottles of Robert Michel’s 2006 Cornas La Gaynale, though I think that’s more like 25 at this stage as I have opened several lately. After that, looks like it’s 24 bottles of the 2013 Mugneret Gibourg Vosne. I don’t tend to buy much more than a dozen of any single wine and vintage these days though, I just don’t have the space or resources really. To my mind, a dozen is a good number to age and follow a wine.

You planning to flip that down the road or drink all that?

So Mark, care to share your best bets on obtaining '14 VCC at a good price?

Not that it undermines your general point, but the next Dom release is the 2010.

16, Went in deep on the 2016 Outpost Howell Mountain zins. My wife loves this wine.