Most Underrated Producer in Burgundy?

i have never heard a negative thing about denis mortet - his wines are priced accordingly [very high].

that whole deceased/suicide thing is kind of negative

ooh–good call

[scratch.gif]

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/winenews060131.html
Since this was 2006, any improvement in the wines must be attributed to his son, who (I think) is now in charge.

Great the prices in hong long just spiked. [snort.gif]

i thought the thread was about the wines [berserker.gif]

I am going to agree with Rossignol-Trapet as #1.

Others I consider underrated include:

Chandon des Briailles
Jadot
Bouchard
Drouhin
Mongeard-Mugneret
Jouan
Buisson-Charles

You and I definitely agree on the CdB stuff. I agree with Bouchard, although rising prices and ratings are making them more on the radar. Nice one on Mongeard-Mugneret. I’m seriously thinking about a 99 Orveaux this week for Burgundy Thursday.
Cheers

Billard-Gonnet in Pommard

Thanks for agreeing R-Trapet as No. 1…

Your others…I would vote for M-Mugneret as No. 2.

Arnaud, his son is now in charge, but Denis was making great wines as he had backed off the oak from 1995 on…Perrot-Minot is in the same vein, saddled with a reputation from the past but making great wines.

Almost all of the names mentioned are indeed rated by Burghound. How about a few names that don’t get rated?

Yeah,

I’d also agree with this. Always puzzled by the mediocre reception he gets from BH (almost like he’s seriously been pissed off by him for some reason).

His Vosne is one of the top villages IMHO, whilst the Echezeaux and C P are seriously good to very great wines…

Well, Emmanuel is not all that personable; he’s pretty shy, actually. And, not all that interested in wine/winemaking as a Hollywood profession. He also doesn’t really have great insights into the vintages or that much curiosity, it seems, about older wines. He has personal issues, clearly. I didn’t realize BH is “on him”, as I don’t subscribe any longer. But, the Rougets can also be maddening to deal with: they forget appointments and don’t answer their phones to set them up…and almost never respond to written messages. In fact, I had an order once that was shipping out…and another winemaker was consolidating it at his place for me for pick up. That guy had to go over (he knew him) because no one ever responded…He emailed me (amused) that on a Sunday morning , he found Emmanuel in his winery working and that Emmanuel knew all about the order; he just hadn’t done anything. Another time, Emmanuel rode up with wine just as the truck was pulling out of the winemaker’s place with the rest of my wines…the picture was that he had to park in front of the shipping truck to make sure it wouldn’t leave. This was after a week of pestering him from the US.

These things can all figure into a guy’s rep, of course. Clearly, he has issues…and has feared the day when Henri Jayer wasn’t around. He’s been candid to us about that. No ego involved on his part. In fact, I think sometimes he’s bemused that people make such a fuss over wine. I’m sure he makes no fuss over writers. He doesn’t need them for anything and probably doesn’t know how to cultivate them if he wanted to. His sons are involved now. Maybe they’re better at it.

And, his Vosne is at the very top of my villages list. The Echezaux is one of the best wines in Burgundy, for me…and hasn’t lost a beat since Henri departed.

I also think Philippe Leclerc is a very underrated winemaker, who makes great wines and is a real character, who has lots more to add to the mix than his winemaking.

Thanks Stuart.

A very interesting insight that no doubt explains much…

Friends,

Underrateed:
-Nuits : Daniel Bocquenet : i reported on him in another thread but got no reaction. Unfortunately he retired after the 2016 vintage but he used to make brilliant ECHEZEAUX and a villlage Nuits Saint Julien that was on par with most premier crus vintage after vintage. He was one of the very few viticulteurs to declassify his Echezeaux in 2004. Many superstars should have done the same in this vintage but did not do so.
-Chambolle : HUDELOT-BAILLET : very good CRAS, Charmes and Borniques. Bonnes mares as well (very decent prices)
-Vosne (based n Nuits but mostly Vosne wines): JM Milllot : brilliant Grands Echezeaux, Echezeaux and Suchots. His CLOS VOUGEOT is in the Grand Maupertui section : the best part for my money.
-Gevrey : domaine Gallois for his Combe aux moine and Charmes Chambertin

SINCERELY JOHAN

Friends,

Underrateed:
-Nuits : Daniel Bocquenet : i reported on him in another thread but got no reaction. Unfortunately he retired after the 2016 vintage but he used to make brilliant ECHEZEAUX and a villlage Nuits Saint Julien that was on par with most premier crus vintage after vintage. He was one of the very few viticulteurs to declassify his Echezeaux in 2004. Many superstars should have done the same in this vintage but did not do so.
-Chambolle : HUDELOT-BAILLET : very good CRAS, Charmes and Borniques. Bonnes mares as well (very decent prices)
-Vosne (based n Nuits but mostly Vosne wines): JM Milllot : brilliant Grands Echezeaux, Echezeaux and Suchots. His CLOS VOUGEOT is in the Grand Maupertui section : the best part for my money.

SINCERELY JOHAN

Friends,

Underrateed:

SINCERELY JOHAN

Jeremy,

Meadows does not enter ROBERT SIRUGUE. This Vosne based producer makes a splendid GRANDS ECHEZEAUX. Unfortunately he only has 0.12 hectares. He also produces Petits Monts. Haven’t yet tasted that wine but to many colllectors this is a trophy wine because situated near RICHEBOURG. And also of course because V liger Belair produces it.
Sincerely johan